Dog hair problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It's never been this bad before. I'm on about dog hairs on my carpets. I'm vacuuming every other day,but constantly seeing these things.

1616025760887.png

I assume the problem is caused by my dog's longer than usual coat,which hasn't been cut for many months due to lockdown,with all dog groomers shut. A long haired,shaggy dog albeit a small one produces many hairs. Someone told me today to use a pair of rubber washing up gloves,dragging your hands across the carpet to get the hairs up. No way am i doing that on all my carpets,as it'd take ages and lots of boring effort! I've thought about one of those vacuum cleaners that supposedly are made specially to pick up pet hairs,but my dog will be having his hair cut asap when this latest lockdown ends,so it wouldn't be worth spending money on such a thing. I've combed and brushed my mutt,but doesn't this just loosen more hairs to fall out on my carpets?🤔

What can i do!! 🤔

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
What vacuum cleaner do you have?

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
It's a Hoover cylinder thingy,with a pipe you have to drag rather then push,as it has quite a powerful suction. It sucks everything up,but not all dog hairs. I've vacuumed,then used a pan and brush after,to find many hairs in the pan.

I was just thinking you can get universal attachments which uses the suction to spin brushes which i have had some success with in the past. They're not too expensive...

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Synthetic carpets are a lot worse for this than wool ones.
I remember my mum and dad buying a 100% wool carpet in 1973. Mum spent many weeks vacuuming up the new carpet's shedding wool/hairs. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
That's the whole point. You can hoover up loose fibres from a wool carpet. Synthetic carpets never let them go.
I chose synthetic rather than wool as i'm a user of bleach and as we know natural fibers do not like the stuff. Also,if a dog has a 'whoopsy' on a synthetic carpet it won't stain too much,unlike it will with a wool one.🧐

Top Bottom