Dog walkers - a question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I was in the woods and on the South Downs on the MTB today, which has many fewer people than usual for obvious reasons, but still had a number of bikers and walkers doing their daily exercise.
I was struck, not for the first time, by how many dog owners had bagged up their dogs' excrement and either left it on the side of the path or hung it like a molecatcher's trophy, on the fences and hedgerows.
I don't think it's a local issue only to my neck of the woods - at least I hope not.
I've never owned a dog so I wonder if those who do, could enlighten me as to the logic of going to the trouble of bagging it, only to leave it preserved in plastic for the duration.
Leaving it al fresco, which also happens, is equally disgusting but I suppose it does at least degrade in time.

Smudge

Veteran
Too lazy to walk with the bag-o-shyte to a bin. It is worse than not picking it up at all.

Drago

Legendary Member
I see this a lot. I don't know what it's about. I don't seem to have to expend any undue effort when disposing of my dogs eggs in a bin. Hell, the effort required to tie to to a branch or fence is greater than simply slinging it in a bin. They're just tw@ts I guess, but as we've seen in recent days the nation has no shortage of them.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Leaving it, it would waste away naturally and will be gone in a few days. Bagging it and leaving the bag behind is very bad for the environment as the bag will take years to disintegrate. People who do that are very irresponsible owners.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can only hope they picked them up on tbe return leg, otherwise why bother?
My sister actually does that with her dog, but she hides the bags so people don't accuse her. I accused her myself when we walked her dog in her local woods a couple of months ago but she told me that we would be walking back that way 30 minutes later and she would pick them back up then, which she did.

Many bag droppers do not come back for them. I have seen them hanging from bushes for days.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
As a life long dog owner it does make wonder that the owner/Walker had done the hard bit and bagged it up, and then left the bag in situ
If there is no obvious bin to put it in just carry it to you find a bin. We get it around my fields, which does have bins at various points.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's not just where you are, the same happens on a huge scale around me. For years now I've scoured fora for answers to this very same question, and the only dog owner I've ever seen try to explain the logic behind it was on some car forum... get this: He said that he thought that bagging the dog eggs and hanging them on a tree was thoughtful because it made it "easier for the ranger to collect them".
That'll be the ranks of invisible, non-existent dogshit Rangers I suppose.

I can't begin to get my head around the logic that drives this stupid way of acting, but it's very common.

Smudge

Veteran
I love catching people not picking their dogs crap over my local park. Especially when they surreptitiously look around while their dog takes a dump, checking that no one is watching, then they walk away from the scene.
I always act like i haven't seen them, then i go after them and give them a right gob full.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Near us we get all three: the responsible owner, the bag hanger and the can't be arsed to bag it owner. The latter two really annoy me.
I'd love to get my timing right, trail one to their house and put the offending turds through their letter box.

Skibird

I was in the woods and on the South Downs on the MTB today, which has many fewer people than usual for obvious reasons, but still had a number of bikers and walkers doing their daily exercise.
I was struck, not for the first time, by how many dog owners had bagged up their dogs' excrement and either left it on the side of the path or hung it like a molecatcher's trophy, on the fences and hedgerows.
I don't think it's a local issue only to my neck of the woods - at least I hope not.
I've never owned a dog so I wonder if those who do, could enlighten me as to the logic of going to the trouble of bagging it, only to leave it preserved in plastic for the duration.
Leaving it al fresco, which also happens, is equally disgusting but I suppose it does at least degrade in time.
As a dog owner, this infuriates me, they would be better, as you say, just leaving it.

yes i see this all the time
the reason they do it is because they want to save face by picking it up, but then can't be ****d carrying it to a bin. so as soon as no one is looking they throw it to the side
lazy, dumb people unfortunately

Dave7

Legendary Member
Near us we get all three: the responsible owner, the bag hanger and the can't be arsed to bag it owner. The latter two really annoy me.
I'd love to get my timing right, trail one to their house and put the offending turds through their letter box.
Where we used to live one neighbours dog crapped in another neighbours garden. She shovelled it up, rang neighbours bell and when they answered she dumped it on the step saying "here, this is yours".
Not sure I would have hade the bottle but it was a wonderful moment.

Top Bottom