Dog walkers - a question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Im what i consider a considerate dog walker. He's a big boy but is a dopey softy but i understand not all like dogs and some are terrified of him so i give a wide berth to everybody (useful at the moment) I often walk in parks and ALWAYS clean his business up and dispose sensibly. I don't want to tread in it, neither do you... However, there is an alley near me to the entrance of the housing estate that walkers will hang up their dog 💩 inside a bag and hang it right in the entrance of the Alley. As far as im concerned anyone who does this i hope they wake up with 10000 insects in their beds... Disgraceful behaviour....

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I was in the woods and on the South Downs on the MTB today, which has many fewer people than usual for obvious reasons, but still had a number of bikers and walkers doing their daily exercise.
I was struck, not for the first time, by how many dog owners had bagged up their dogs' excrement and either left it on the side of the path or hung it like a molecatcher's trophy, on the fences and hedgerows.
I don't think it's a local issue only to my neck of the woods - at least I hope not.
I've never owned a dog so I wonder if those who do, could enlighten me as to the logic of going to the trouble of bagging it, only to leave it preserved in plastic for the duration.
Leaving it al fresco, which also happens, is equally disgusting but I suppose it does at least degrade in time.
A highly responsible dog owning friend did manage to half convince me that, ppl were doing this and picking up the bag on the way home..

But why not just carry it all the way then?
Sure you could have some 'canister on a strap' to carry it in..
The chances of forgetting on the way back are huge.
Even the most well intentioned get distracted.

In a wild and woolly area I'm sure it's better just to get the muck into the undergrowth.
After all, no one goes around picking up all the badger / fox poo.

it‘s not just the never ending piles of $hit though is it. It’s the relentless, non-stop bloody barking, the mauling/ killing livestock dogs do, the fact that it now seems to be THE LAW that you have to own at least one of the bloody things in the UK and the rest of us just have to put up with it. I may have to hand in my British citizenship for saying this, but this mad obsession with the wretched creatures is bonkers.

Partially agree, I don't actively dislike dogs, some are very nice, and I know they bring much joy to their owners.

But the numbers seem to have mushroomed, and some dog owners don't seem to appreciate that not everyone loves dogs, or they can even be phobic.

I wonder how many people are put off visiting certain areas because of the sheer numbers of hounds about.

It's the ones that are not kept under close control that are worst.

They'll run off, and get themselves involved with someone else, and then their owners will come up with some nonsense as 'Oh he's only being friendly'

Not much comfort if you have small kids with you, or someone who is genuinely afraid.

Certainly pretty annoying / dangerous when you come across an out of control dog, if out cycling. :sad:

iandg

Legendary Member
My sister actually does that with her dog, but she hides the bags so people don't accuse her. I accused her myself when we walked her dog in her local woods a couple of months ago but she told me that we would be walking back that way 30 minutes later and she would pick them back up then, which she did.

Many bag droppers do not come back for them. I have seen them hanging from bushes for days.

On an out and back walk I sometimes do the same as your sister if I know there is no bin ahead on the outward leg.

TyrannosaurusTreks

Formerly known as Giantbadge
To be honest where we are there is only one bin for the whole woods, which is a good 2hr walk.
Council cut backs again, most people now don’t use bags but clear any on paths.
Nothing worse the seeing bags everywhere.

Drago

Legendary Member
In which case they should take it home and bin it like the rest of us have to. We don't need society and the authorities to spoon feed us - it's up to dog owners to be proactive in taking responsibility.

Top Bottom