Doing a short talk on my Canada ride. What to say?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albal

Guru
Hi guys,

On Wednesday October 17 , I have been invited to do a short talk on my ride across Canada at the Wessex Newfoundland society AGM.

This might be straightforward for some, tho for me it's a tough one. Not done anything like that before.

What do I say? What do I not say? I think the attendance is around 40 people All advice gratefully received. Thanks

Sixmile

Veteran
I've done quite a bit of public speaking and public presentations, none bike related though. If you could include any audio/visual stuff it normally helps. Even if it's some photographs displayed on a screen, it helps to keep everyone's interest and visualise a particular part of your story. People always want to know the hardest, worst, best, funniest, strangest parts. If I was attending your talk, I'd like to know how you planned, how you prepared, equipment choices, what was going through your head, your mental journey as much as the physical side of things. In any case, good luck!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Similar to what Sixmile said.
Why did you want to do it.
What was your level of cycling before.
How long did it take.
How did you prepare
What did you take, where did you sleep, then best/worst bits - scenery wise, nicest people you met, etc, anything funny that happened.
Plus photos etc.

Best of luck with it.

alicat

Legendary Member
This is a group that is interested in Canada and one part of it in particular. I would focus on the places that you passed through, any interesting/unusual buildings that you visited, memorable landscapes, wildlife etc. Did you see any bears etc? Were any people especially kind and what happened when they were?

Make it personal and funny/light-hearted and don't major on the cycling aspects - they aren't cyclists and don't want the minutiae of your preparations.

PK99

Legendary Member
Hi guys,

On Wednesday October 17 , I have been invited to do a short talk on my ride across Canada at the Wessex Newfoundland society AGM.

This might be straightforward for some, tho for me it's a tough one. Not done anything like that before.

What do I say? What do I not say? I think the attendance is around 40 people All advice gratefully received. Thanks

My guess is that you have been asked less for the cycling and more for the West country/Newfoundland links
> https://www.heritage.nf.ca/articles/society/west-country.php

So a balance between places and cycling might work well. did you ride through places with "English" names? etc

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Remember they are probably not cyclists so are too concerned with the technical stuff. Plenty of slides and anecdotes, unusual experiences, difficult situations etc, anything interesting and amusing. Do your planning and don't make it too long. Maybe a Q & A session at the end.

Good luck, don't have any alcohol to steady the nerves! Speak clearly.

Here are some tips from the master;

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/guide-to-public-speaking/

Last edited:

User269

Hi guys,

If you've nothing to say about it, don't say it.

OP
OP
albal

albal

Guru
Thanks, for the advice.

While i,d like to show pictures it's a little bit difficult setting that up at this stage, as others have said, they are mostly interested in the NL portion of the ride.
I think I will load up the bike as I rode it to show what I have carried.

If it doesn't go too well, at least I've shown a few people what is involved in a unsupported ride across the 2nd largest country in the world. Plus I get a 3 course meal thrown in.!

Here goes

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Thanks, for the advice.

While i,d like to show pictures it's a little bit difficult setting that up at this stage, as others have said, they are mostly interested in the NL portion of the ride.
I think I will load up the bike as I rode it to show what I have carried.

If it doesn't go too well, at least I've shown a few people what is involved in a unsupported ride across the 2nd largest country in the world. Plus I get a 3 course meal thrown in.!

Here goes
Taking the fully laden bike is an excellent idea. You could slowly unpack it as you talk to show all the paraphernalia needed. That would be quite nice as I suspect folk have no idea

D

Deleted member 26715

Good luck for tonight hope it goes well, open it up for questions as interaction will be good & put both you & the audience at ease.

OP
OP
albal

albal

Guru
All went well, the bike added to the interest from the fairly ageing audience, who had very little idea of what a cycle tour entails. I did not talk long to the 35 or so ladies and gentlemen, one of which was once my local MP!. Having many questions to answer certainly helped relax me, tho they could probably tell I was nervous as I stated it is a 1st for me. I ,m pleased I got the chance to explain what goes into a tour and my Newfoundland experience.

The food was great too.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I'll bet it was quite interesting, especially as it applied to Newfoundland. The bike was a great idea, it's always good to show people what goes into such an undertaking. In the States, when touring, it is usually impromptu speaking to small groups who are curious. Some go away thinking I could never do that, while others start frequenting forums and browsing the internet for bikes and parts and such. They may never go on tour for any long time, but they still get enjoyment from the cycling and the touring they do get to do. Our Labor Day Parade is also another event where the old, or the interesting, or the curious bikes get shown off. The Corso, as an old Italian touring and distance bike, has already been asked to appear at next years' festivities. Pletscher rack and old touring panniers as well. I think just riding in Newfoundland and the Maritimes would be fantastic, as I've never made it that far east.

Top Bottom