Dolan l'etape .... Ultegra Di2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gelfy666

Über Member
Luckily I'm in the market to buy one at the moment, was looking at the 105 version, but then considered upgrading to Ultegra Di2 , but I've no experience of the Di2 system..... Anyone have it on any bike?

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I have it on three bikes.
It is gear changing heaven, especially front mech shifting.
The shift front or rear is the same every time.
But saying that, a perfectly indexed good mechanical groupo can be almost as good.
The main thing is the shift never changes, it's the same every shift.
An expensive luxury, if you like.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Here's the closing line from a piece I read on the web recently about the pros and cons of Di2:
"If you’re not going to buy a bike with Di2 (you’re not alone) then do yourself a favour and don’t ride one with it on. That way you won’t know what you’re missing."

I think that sums it up perfectly. There is absolutely nothing wrong with 105, it's great. You don't need Di2. But once you've tried Di2, you probably won't want to go back to mechanical shifting.

What's the price difference between the two bikes? What would you spend the money on if you didn't spend it on the upgrade to Di2?

OP
OP
gelfy666

gelfy666

Über Member
The price difference is nearly £500, could get better spec wheels, or a lot of other things lol.
I really don't intend buying another bike after this one.... So it's my last chance if I'm going to get a Di2.

OP
OP
gelfy666

gelfy666

Über Member
Well I've got the mtb I always wanted and love, and I've got my Fuji Sportif for commuting...... So room for just one more lol.

rockpig

Über Member
The shifting with Di2 is great but it's also customisable. I have the right shifter set for "harder" (smaller cogs on rear, big ring on front) and the left shifter for "easier" (larger cogs on rear, little ring on front).
I agree with the other comments that you won't regret it.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have Di2 on my Koga Solicio. I didnt understand hype. But I have done a few hundred Kms with it now and I love it. You never miss a gear and it changes gears so quickly and smoothly. Its worth every penny.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Whatever anyone says about 'flawless shifting every time', you should be aware that even Di2 needs some routine maintenance, just like mechanical shifters. You can't just 'fit and forget'.

And when it does go wrong, Di2 is a lot more expensive to put right (I had to fork out for a new rear mech recently... ouch!)

Top Bottom