1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DOMS chat

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by Milzy, 21 Apr 2017.

1. Milzy

Milzy Über Member

I'm thinking of buying some magnesium oil spray to rub into my legs. It's supposed to be good for DOMS and to aid sleep. Any one used it? What else is great for DOMS? I've tried Epsom salts which did nothing so I'm sceptical about mag oil spray.

2. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Have a warm bath with some Radox before bed :smile:

dave r likes this.
  3. Milzy

Milzy Über Member

Used muscle soak and I want my money back. If some powder in hot water can mend you then you must ride harder I suppose.

4. Moodyman

Moodyman Veteran

Sauna / steam room can help post exercise. A good varied diet should be enough to replenish body's chemical balance.

Other than that just give it time. DOMS only really lasts for 2 or 3 weeks when new exerciser or returning from a long break.

Milzy likes this.
  5. thecube

thecube Senior Member

Never heard of that, I think having good levels of Mg in your diet might help a little. Avoiding it in the first place is best. So, post exercise stretching / recovery. I also like to keep active within 48 h or more extreme exercise, so it helps the blood flow through the body. But sometimes it will happen and it just takes time. I'm not convinced at all by the cryo-therapy treatment.

Milzy likes this.
  6. thecube

thecube Senior Member

A hot bath seems as effective as a dip in ice cold water to me!

Milzy likes this.
  7. vickster

Do you stretch after cycling? Try that too asap after getting off the bike

I don't ride very hard or long these days cos I'm crocked

Milzy likes this.
  8. Milzy

Milzy Über Member

Never stretch :sad: If you have micro tears they need to heal. Stretching should help but not take DOMS away entirely.

9. thecube

thecube Senior Member

I've heard that taking ibuprofen helps. But I still think avoidance is best. Once you have it you just need time. I only get it after a long period of inactivity followed by strenuous exercise.

10. vickster

You should stretch, everything from hips to feet :smile: Try it, see if it helps, doing neck stretches and mobilisations might help your numb hands too...as well as working on your core...many swear by pilates

Last edited: 21 Apr 2017
    Milzy likes this.
  11. Bimble

Bimble Bimbling along ... Staff Member

What is DOMS?

Dirk likes this.
  12. thecube

thecube Senior Member

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.

Milzy and Bimble like this.
  13. T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T Disc brakes - Stopping things since 1902

The point of training is to cause micro-tears so a stretch after isn't going to do a lot of harm if any, if anything more good can come from it

Milzy and vickster like this.
  14. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

I usually only get doms if the ride is harder than usual, and it usually only lasts 24 - 48 hours.

Milzy likes this.
  15. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It! Staff Member

My missus swears by magnesium salts and magnesium tablets if you've got bad muscle soreness ! Me, can't say I've noticed.

Milzy likes this.