Done it again. Ebay red mess

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Nice, looks like the sort of thing from the days when an enthusiast would often buy what was effectively an upmarket light sports roadster and use it for going to work during the week and then go out club riding on it at the weekend. I wonder if it started out on drops or was originally a flat bar job?
I'm not surprised to see a smaller vintage frame, as average heights increased throughout the 20th century. Neither my dad or grandad would have been able to ride anything larger than a 21" bike, whereas I can comfortably ride a 23"

Last edited:
OP
OP
robsa

robsa

Über Member
Funnily enough im (at 5ft10) the shortest man in the last 3 generations of my family. Really hoping this bikes not too small for me.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Would 27's fit?
700c would (they're in between 26" and 27") my Raleigh 'City' had a set laced onto the original SA hub and a front 'Dynohub'

DSCN0038.JPG

Better braking and much better tyre selection.

It doesn't look too small just by comparing it with my yellow peril. I'm guessing around 211/2 22 as there is a gap between the head tube lugs. You will need a longer handlebar stem and possibly a seat post unless you rarely stay in the saddle . :laugh:

OP
OP
robsa

robsa

Über Member
Been having a potter in the garage and ive looked at the redmess. The frame number is 248296 R
Rear hub is a FW 4speed dated 50 4
Front dyno is marked 5 010.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

If you ever think of replacing the bars, I'd be interested in giving them a home on my Carlton :biggrin:

Although, worth keeping if part of the bike's history or character if you can get on with them

OP
OP
robsa

robsa

Über Member
Everything is coming apart nicely. Got dunlop lightweight rims. Cleaning up quite well. Can't find any trace of the original colour under the usual places.
Quick question while im here.
Will a standard sturmey archer 3 speed cable fit and work on a 4 speed hub??

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Everything is coming apart nicely. Got dunlop lightweight rims. Cleaning up quite well. Can't find any trace of the original colour under the usual places.
Quick question while im here.
Will a standard sturmey archer 3 speed cable fit and work on a 4 speed hub??
I've got a feeling the 'toggle chain' is 4 speed specific but the cable is universal

OP
OP
robsa

robsa

Über Member
Thanks ralieghnut. The brake cables have that daft pear shape on the end but ive got those running beautifully but the gear cable is crackered.

Top Bottom