done my back in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Contact D.TEK, rare as hens teeth is likely something he manages. I know he does a fair few Ryan's and other American recumbents.

Although greenspeed is Aussie IIRC which might mean Western recumbents in the Midlands (Derbyshire or Shropshire IIRC) might be able to help. I think they're the importers / distributors for greenspeed in the UK.

They're rare though I believe.

Hase do trikes that might suit, ones that are designed to store on their back end. Is it the trigo model?

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
Hase Kettwiesel and Hase Trigo are both able to be stood upright, and manouevred whilst on their back wheels (so no weight to have to carry). The Kettwiesel I had (now sold) could be picked up by the front and moved around easily. I'm not sure whether the width of the rear will be too large for your garden gate. Trigo rear width = 83cm, according to their spec sheet.

trigo_parken.jpg

https://hasebikes.com/194-1-Recumbent-Bike-TRIGO.html

Above: New Trigo
Below: Kettwiesel

http://www.bentrideronline.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/on-its-tail.jpg

I had a look at a Trigo last week - David at Laidback, Edinburgh had one http://www.laid-back-bikes.scot/ - unfortunately I didn't have the time to ask for a demo ride, but the quality looks good, and being aluminium, it will be considerably lighter than most older-design delta trikes. Unlikely to be any available on the used market yet, as they're so new, but pricing for a brand-new one looks very good value - especially considering it's a Hase.

Last edited:
Greenspeed anura has a width of 76cm.
Hase trigo 83cm.
Hase kettweisel 86cm

They're all nice trikes.

HPV gekko 26 has 83cm width
HPV scorpion 83cm width

Not sure if all the gekko and scorpion versions are the same width I only checked one version of each.

Also can you lift a tadpole trike by the single rear wheel and wheel it around like when you lift the single front wheel up and wheel it around. I'm guessing the tadpole steers on the two front wheels so it might have a tendency to turn off wheeled like a delta trike but in reverse.

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
Also can you lift a tadpole trike by the single rear wheel and wheel it around like when you lift the single front wheel up and wheel it around. I'm guessing the tadpole steers on the two front wheels so it might have a tendency to turn off wheeled like a delta trike but in reverse.

There be the difference between them - lift a tadpole by the single rear wheel and you'll soon have the pedals/crank or front chainring hit the ground, as they're normally some distance in front of the front wheels (as you point out, the front tracking will freely turn in various directions making a predictable path impossible......) But lift a delta by the front, and unless there's a rear rack or bag in the way, they'll pretty much stand upright, and follow you like a cat teased with a piece of fresh fish.......

How about dragging the tadpole behind you? IME things with the steering at the back tend to track when pulled. If you're not lifting it high enough to hit the pedals and chainring on the floor... I reckon it's still not as good as a delta but I think I'd prefer a tadpole, I think they handle better but perhaps wrong.

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
IIRC, roadrash's issue is there isn't enough room to move a tadpole from the shed through to the front of the house with the normal "lift the rear wheel and drag it backwards" many of us use. :sad: Reading the posts I get the impression there's limited space to turn the tadpole round to get it through the gate. In trying to get it out, he had to lift it, and in doing so, that caused him the injury :cry: Always the possibility I misunderstood ?

I wouldn't say my delta handles worse than my tadpole.......maybe there's slightly better cornering at speeds above 70 mph :laugh:

Yes, the price of deltas tend to be more than tadpoles, but if bought second hand they sell for pretty much what you paid for them, as they are rare beasts indeed (but depreciation on a new one is not dissimilar to that on a new car.....). I had to wait a while before finding mine, and if I see one elsehwhere I'll send a pm :okay:

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
IIRC, roadrash's issue is there isn't enough room to move a tadpole from the shed through to the front of the house with the normal "lift the rear wheel and drag it backwards" many of us use. :sad: Reading the posts I get the impression there's limited space to turn the tadpole round to get it through the gate. In trying to get it out, he had to lift it, and in doing so, that caused him the injury :cry: Always the possibility I misunderstood ?

I wouldn't say my delta handles worse than my tadpole.......maybe there's slightly better cornering at speeds above 70 mph :laugh:

Yes, the price of deltas tend to be more than tadpoles, but if bought second hand they sell for pretty much what you paid for them, as they are rare beasts indeed (but depreciation on a new one is not dissimilar to that on a new car.....). I had to wait a while before finding mine, and if I see one elsehwhere I'll send a pm :okay:
It's the size thats the problem.

OP
OP
roadrash

roadrash

cycle chatterer

you understood perfectly,

There be the difference between them - lift a tadpole by the single rear wheel and you'll soon have the pedals/crank or front chainring hit the ground, as they're normally some distance in front of the front wheels (as you point out, the front tracking will freely turn in various directions making a predictable path impossible......) But lift a delta by the front, and unless there's a rear rack or bag in the way, they'll pretty much stand upright, and follow you like a cat teased with a piece of fresh fish.......
Actually your comments about moving tadpole trikes is ill informed .
I have moved and shifted hundreds of tadpole trikes over the years .
I make a point of demonstrating to novice riders that you don't have to stoop down to steer and control whilst doing an impression of the hunch back of Notre Dam-it ?.........or lifting a dead weight !
So you use simple leverage
You lift up at the rear rack end or rear wheel with just one hand at less than pocket height and away you go ....it really is that simple .
You can push or pull with ease to negotiate door frames and passage ways.
If you wish you can lift the entire trike tail end up onto the nose .in a lift and rolling action . Pop a mat down in the target zone to protect the chainrings if you have not fitted a factory chain ring guard .
* Allowing a reduced footprint if your tight for storage
A single velcro strap on the wall will secure for safety.
I have stacked 15 trikes in a row using that system .
Or for transporting in a van to attend shows I use the same idea albeit with load straps and blankets .
Hope that helps

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
Actually your comments about moving tadpole trikes is ill informed .

Can't agree with you on this one. Certainly not "ill-informed", just speaking from how I find it easier to move the delta than the tadpole.

Unless I've missed a better way of moving a trike, lifting the rear end of a tadpole risks causing the front chainring to hit the ground, and walking in a rearward direction causes the front axle to "shimmy". Not so on a delta. I have no intention of lifting the rear end of the tadpole so high that it causes the pedals or chainring to scrape along the ground, and really, does anyone else choose to move their tadpole by heaving it upright so it rests on the teeth of the chainring, or a chainring protector ? My ICE chainring protector doesn't look strong enough to support the weight of the whole trike, and would ICE themselves suggest this as a way of moving the trike around ?

Mind you, I only have one tadpole and one delta. I've never needed to find a way of transporting hundreds of tadpoles, nor stack them vertically, and most of us on this forum will never get near n+1 > 100.

I don't think you read through the OP's other posts about the difficulty he faces with the limited space available to get his trike through the gate - it doesn't make sense to suggest to someone with a bad back that pirouetting a tadpole on its chainring would be the solution to their particular problem.

Last edited:
My ICE chainring protector doesn't look strong enough to support the weight of the whole trike, and would ICE themselves suggest this as a way of moving the trike around ?
I once transported my ICE trike on a late train into London when I couldn't be bothered to fold it and didn't have room to turn the corner into the disabled space by simply jamming it at an angle on the chain guard with the back wheel resting on the roof .......... ^_^
Couldn't get away with that in the day time because it was completely blocking the door, but the passageway between carriages was clear so it was OK-ish.
So the chainring guard will easily take the weight of a trike.

I agree that wheeling a Delta by it's front wheel is easier than a tadpole by it's back wheel.
But a tadpole is still easy to do once you get used to it.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
from previous research l think there is only l that folds 2 dimensionally that is in a small production run , it uses smaller wheels and is inversely expensive . even my project x folds in one plane but as an e-trike , catching it awkwardly would put my back out. during the summer months it lives in the boot of the estate car.

Not cheap....and I have no idea about the quality or ease of folding - but it certainly folds into a compact size. Currently advertised on Gumtree. Latvian made and sold in London.
Screenshot_20180407-211059_Gumtree.jpg

Top Bottom