Don't always blame the motorist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
If that is what you did, what was the problem? If you had space to use the other side of the road, you had space to overtake a pair of cyclists.
And that is precisely my point, I couldn't give them the space I wanted due to their irresponsible riding . If I had been following another car , it would have been ok as I would have matched my speed to him and stayed behind but not those cyclists at possibly 10 mph for a long way.

1 - the road is twisty and just wide enough for two cars to pass each other.
2 - two cyclists did exactly what cyclists should not do, that is say, carrying on riding two a breast.
3 - cyclists are no angels ... and can do some pretty dangerous riding when two or more.
My apologies for editing your OP - but I think it's the bare bones?

Conveniently "pruned" to reveal

1 - a fact.
2 - a harsh judgement. Did you stop and ask them politely why? Nope.

I take my son's girlfriend out on a few rides - she's just learning; and I ride to protect, and to communicate guidance or advice; and I spend a lot more time riding two abreast than ever I would normally. I've ridden similarly protectively of my kids, when their confidence has been shaken by repeated squeezes from a bunch of impatient halfwits (one halfwit is scary, but when you get one after the other ........?) - and again, abreast for a lot longer than I would normally, until they have recovered their poise. Any of us who have experience of riding with people developing their skills and confidence could come up with a dozen such scenarios.

But you didn't. Not for a second. Just a callous judgement - they "did exactly what cyclists should not do."
3 - a shockingly harsh judgement. "Pretty dangerous" - really? Hold on, mate! I'm going to suggest an alternative reading - that the impatience, the willingness to jump to angry conclusions, the motor-biker bullying them ........ any of those are far more dangerous.

Next step - "Let's a have a damned good witter about
- how 'not all cyclists are angels' (duuuuh!)
- and how there are fictional characters on the forum who think 'all cyclists are always angels'. (Again - duuuuh!)"

And you have my sincere apologies. My tirade is not particularly directed at you personally - I'm just peeved that it's yet another multi-page thread on exactly the same subject, with the same basic problem at its heart. "Let's pick on an anonymous couple, and make an example of them."

It is actually since 1969, so that is 47 years, not bad hey? :okay:
battleship-board-game.jpg

Luckily, as a cyclist, a motorist and ex driving instructor I can see both sides and make an impartial judgment based on facts

I had a close overtake from a driving instructor who literally brushed my elbow with the wing mirror.... I caught up with him in traffic and questioned his overtake.

Apparently he was also a cyclist and knew just how close he could overtake safely

All that 3' and "same distance as you would give a a car" is total BS, cyclists in reality only need a few inches

Brandane

Legendary Member
OK enough. Let's just remind ourselves about the highway code
View attachment 127779
"Give cyclists at least as much room as you would a car" ....... The room I would give a car depends on the speed of both vehicles; e.g. if the car is stationary on a narrow road and you are passing it at walking pace, you aren't going to be giving it as much room as you would if you were travelling at 60mph and overtaking a car doing 40mph...
Transfer this to the scenario given by the OP talking of cyclists doing 10 mph and you aren't going to have to move completely into the opposing lane, as long as they are in single file. I am not familiar with the road he was travelling on, but as the OP is a retired driving instructor I am going to trust his judgement on this. There are times when it is perfectly safe to pass a single cyclist (or 2 in single file in this case), but the width of the road can sometimes dictate that it is not safe if they are 2 abreast.
I am sure I remember something from the Police Roadcraft bible about the space given when passing other traffic being proportionate to the speed of the vehicles. I will try and find it.....

What signal is that? I can't recall a 'cyclists single out' signal in my driving lessons...

I had that with a motorcyclist on the way into work, pointing to the cycle track.
Then caught up with him at lights one day... and asked him why he kept signalling left, but when I slowed to let him in, he carried on at the same speed

He then explained he was signalling for me to get on to the cycle path..... you can imagine the rest of the conversation

screenman

Legendary Member
I must admit I was tempted to give a sign to the cyclist ( not in Lycra) who jumped the red light in Boston last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom