Don't always blame the motorist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
This thread is getting out of hand so this is my last post on the subject. All I was saying was that there are some inconsiderate cyclists on the roads same as there are other inconsiderate road users as well. No one is perfect and the fact that this is a cycling forum doesn't make us angels. FACT . :okay: :hello:

This thread is getting out of hand so this is my last post on the subject. All I was saying was that there are some inconsiderate cyclists on the roads same as there are other inconsiderate road users as well. No one is perfect and the fact that this is a cycling forum doesn't make us angels. FACT . :okay: :hello:
Inconsiderate is not dangerous.

Good night, sleep well :smile:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Enough to give them a safe clearance, which is what I like to do.
Genuine question. Do you know the couple or they know you/r vehicle?

If not not how can you know their experiences on that road or generally and what might have happened to motivate (frighten?) them into your opinion of bad cycling etiquette & how on earth are they to know you are a paragon of driving virtue with only their best interests at heart?

snorri

Legendary Member
Yes, I was delayed by less than a minute and when I still had 100 miles to go, what can I say? :whistle:
Are some of our fellow CCers getting things a bit wrong here?
Throughout a 100 mile journey by car gavroche wasn't delayed or caused even minor inconvenience by any other road user or traffic control mechanism with the exception of a slowing down for less than a minute to accommodate two cyclists.
Sounds like gavroche has enjoyed a driving experience the vast majority of drivers will never equal and can only envy:smile:.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
OK enough. Let's just remind ourselves about the highway code
View attachment 127779
I wonder about that illustration. It looks like a continuous white line at the bottom of the picture, meaning the driver has crossed to the other side of the carriageway illegally, and indicating that the driver has failed to complete an overtake in a safe and legal place.
Anyhow, if you can overtake a tractor you can overtake two bikes - when there's a safe place and a sufficient gap allowed by the surfeit of oncoming traffic. And the surfeit is F all to do with the cyclists.

400bhp

Guru
This old chestnut again:rolleyes:

Interesting when out and about in the car yesterday. The notable "pain in the asses" on the bikes were two groups strung out on the road. I would have much preferred then to be in a tight bunch.

I say "pain in the ass" because this is in the spirit of a post I read on here the other day which summed it up for me very well. I think it was @Dogtrousers who said something along the lines of "everyone annoys me when I am on my bike, when I'm in my car or when I'm walking". Post again please:okay:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
In four years of reading CC this is the first time an op really annoys me!

I wonder if some even drive.
Why, drivers when on a bike should be extra aware that bikes annoy drivers?
Well, I don't drive, but I'm very well aware!

No one is going to overtake when another car is coming that would be dangerous whether riders were in single file or riding two abreast.
Really? Never been closed passed then? Or beeped at, or shouted at only for being on the road, even when you on the bike are actually in nobody's way?

As I said in my original thread, even one of the motorbikes signalled them to ride single file.
Is that a new thing then? Should I obey to some random biker's signals? Whatever next, will bikers feel entitled to shout at me to get into the cycle path?
Already they seem to think they have priority to bikes in the bike boxes.

And that is precisely my point, I couldn't give them the space I wanted due to their irresponsible riding .
Had they been singled out, would they not also have had to keep a large gap between them, so you could pull in in case there was oncoming traffic you could not see while overtaking? You said yourself the road was twisted, so poor visibility ahead.
Well, Mr. ex-driving instructor, sometimes on the road you just have to wait!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Fellow cyclists posting about other cyclists "riding two abreast" just gives the anti cyclists more ammunition. One day they're(fellow cyclists)on a bike thinking why's that git behind me hassling me, then the next day they're behind a wheel thinking why's that git in front on a bike hassling me.:rolleyes:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm really sorry, but somebody has to point out some home truths. There are roads where it is entirely safe to overtake cyclists when traffic is coming in the other direction. The lane with the cyclists can be wide enough for the motorist to do that, but not if they ride two or three abreast. It takes a few seconds for the car to be on it's way. It costs the cyclist so little. Why block them?
It's bad manners, antagonises motorists, and makes our lives a bit less pleasant. What exactly is the point?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Usually if there is space to safely overtake one cyclist there is space to safely overtake 2 abreast.
Usually, if there isn't space to safely overtake 2 abreast there isn't space to safely overtake 1 cyclist.
So usually, whether the cyclists are single file or 2 abreast makes no difference to a safe driver, but does discourage unsafe drivers from overtaking where they shouldn't, and in fact by riding 2 abreast they are making it easier to overtake as there is less linear distance to get past.
If there is a road where a driver can safely overtake a single cyclist but not safely overtake 2 abreast then of course cyclists should single out. But such specific width roads are pretty rare.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I was coming home from Giggleswick to the A59 earlier this afternoon, in my car, the road is twisty and just wide enough for two cars to pass each other. I was behind two cyclists who looked like husband and wife, judging by their jerseys. They did exactly what cyclists should not do, that is say, carrying on riding two a breast. I eventually overtook them quickly but was not impressed by their cycling ethos

During a 100-mile journey in your car, you came across a pair of cyclists whose riding position caused you to carefully consider how to safely overtake them. You were delayed by an amount so insignificant as to be not worth caring about. Everybody survived.

I'm surprised you didn't write to a national newspaper.

...even one of the motorbikes signalled them to ride single file.

Last week, at a set of temporary traffic lights on long-running road works, a motorcyclist stopped beside me and advised me I should go up on the pavement to bypass them but I ignored him. I wish I'd known they were reliable sources of good roadcraft and I wouldn't have had to sit there like an eejit until the green light came on.

GC

Origamist

Legendary Member
What's permitted or not isnt down to you or me my friend....perhaps you've yet to find that out so excuse me for actually reading the OP's post, agreeing with every word he says and then watching him being thrown to the wolves.

Yeah right, it's brutal on here. I thought Game of Thrones was harsh, but CC's online community is super-duper nasty.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
During a 100-mile journey in your car, you came across a pair of cyclists whose riding position caused you to carefully consider how to safely overtake them. You were delayed by an amount so insignificant as to be not worth caring about. Everybody survived.

I'm surprised you didn't write to a national newspaper.

Last week, at a set of temporary traffic lights on long-running road works, a motorcyclist stopped beside me and advised me I should go up on the pavement to bypass them but I ignored him. I wish I'd known they were reliable sources of good roadcraft and I wouldn't have had to sit there like an eejit until the green light came on.

GC

No that's just silly - obviously as a cyclist you're hardly going to stop just because the light's red

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom