Don't always blame the motorist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I was coming home from Giggleswick to the A59 earlier this afternoon, in my car, the road is twisty and just wide enough for two cars to pass each other. I was behind two cyclists who looked like husband and wife, judging by their jerseys. They did exactly what cyclists should not do, that is say, carrying on riding two a breast. I eventually overtook them quickly but was not impressed by their cycling ethos. :ohmy:
Two motor bikes were behind me and one of them signalled the cyclists to go on a single line. On this forum, we tend to be quick to criticise motorists but cyclists are no angels either and can do some pretty dangerous riding when two or more. :angry:

winjim

Smash the cistern
:popcorn:

Mark trek29er

Regular
Funnily enough I was doing the fat lad at the back sportive round there today and they stressed the importance of single file to every rider before setting off so hopefully it wasn't someone doing that ride!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
there aren't that many places where it'd be safe to overtake a pair of cyclists in aingle (that is two people remember with a less-than-car space between 'em) but not safe to overtake a pair side by side

looked like husband and wife, judging by their jerseys.

handh.jpg

MarkF

Guru
The A59 there is not a Dales country lane, it's a regular wide A road. Still, I don't like cycling on the A59 at all, especially Skipton to Settle, and it's worse on a hot weekend day, I probably wouldn't want to do anything to frustrate further, already frustrated drivers.................

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Sorry to hear you were delayed. Thankfully, you got back in time to tell us.
Yes, I was delayed by less than a minute and when I still had 100 miles to go, what can I say? :whistle:

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Sorry to be dense, but if it is only just wide enough for two cars to pass then surely it's not wide enough for 2 cars and a bicycle, but plenty wide enough for 2 bikes and a car. I real have no idea what they did wrong.
I also said that the road was twisting a lot and may be should have added very few long straights to overtake safely.

screenman

Legendary Member
I see this type of cycling a lot in Lincolnshire, it does not take much effort to single out if the cyclists know there is a vehicle behind. Trouble is add a bit of wind noise and no over the shoulder check and the cyclist has no idea somebody is there.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Well, like I said at the beginning of this thread, some people here seem to think that cyclists are angels and always right . Luckily, as a cyclist, a motorist and ex driving instructor I can see both sides and make an impartial judgment based on facts . As for my speed, I was following them for a while until I could overtake safely as they never attempted to move over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom