Don't always blame the motorist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Yes. 2 cyclists single file is twice as long as two side by side.

Next time you are up this way let us go out for a ride. I will show you many places where it is a good idea to single out.

screenman

Legendary Member
Oh well. Mine is that, if there is room to overtake me safely, they can get on with it. If there isn't, I will be controlling the space.

I would certainly control the space, just not make it a larger space than required.

screenman

Legendary Member
Ex Driving instructor thinks we should move over to allow a motorist to execute a dangerous pass:eek: The end is nigh ,maybe they do not follow motoring laws as we assume they should

Where did you read dangerous, or is it just Chinese whispers.

Bianchi boy

Über Member
Where did you read dangerous, or is it just Chinese whispers.
If the road is narrow and only wide enough for 2 vehicles as stated then to attempt to overtake a cyclist would in my opinion be dangerous resulting in the potential for there to be 2 motor vehicles trying to squeeze past a cyclist

screenman

Legendary Member
If the road is narrow and only wide enough for 2 vehicles as stated then to attempt to overtake a cyclist would in my opinion be dangerous resulting in the potential for there to be 2 motor vehicles trying to squeeze past a cyclist

I do not think that was going on in the original post. I think the bit about 2 car wide was a description of the road width.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I was coming home from Giggleswick to the A59 earlier this afternoon, in my car, the road is twisty and just wide enough for two cars to pass each other. I was behind two cyclists who looked like husband and wife, judging by their jerseys. They did exactly what cyclists should not do, that is say, carrying on riding two a breast. I eventually overtook them quickly but was not impressed by their cycling ethos. :ohmy:
Two motor bikes were behind me and one of them signalled the cyclists to go on a single line. On this forum, we tend to be quick to criticise motorists but cyclists are no angels either and can do some pretty dangerous riding when two or more. :angry:
I don't always blame the motorist. But I do point the finger at the self-proclaimed cyclist with the motor-centric mindset.

In what way precisely was their riding dangerous?

doog

That's totally uncalled for - the OP expressed an opinion, others put their points of view. I think that is permitted in a cycling forum.

What's permitted or not isnt down to you or me my friend....perhaps you've yet to find that out so excuse me for actually reading the OP's post, agreeing with every word he says and then watching him being thrown to the wolves.

If im spoiling your fun then I apologise...

Jimidh

Veteran

Do you drive?

No one is going to overtake when another car is coming that would be dangerous whether riders were in single file or riding two abreast.

The world isn't a binary place where there is always a right or wrong way to use the road. A bit of common sense from all road users makes like better for everyone if we ride/ drive to the conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom