...dont' be fooled, a leopard never changes its spots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leodis

Veteran
I think its more about ordering bikes they struggle with, the small items they are ok with.

amaferanga

Veteran
Ribble's reserve and collect is brilliant (if you live nearby). You get the full choice of a big online retailer, the best prices on most things when you spend over £35 and it's ready to collect in an hour. Delivery on orders isn't the quickest (it's not in Prendas league), but I've never had any reason to complain.

No idea about their bikes, but I'd expect anyone that is selling custom made to order bikes to take a few weeks to supply the bike. If you want a bike straight away then you'd probably be better popping into an LBS and buying a lower spec bike for way more money.

snorri

Legendary Member
It’s just more of been fobbed off and lied to that is shocking. Then again it’s what British business is all about, no customer service and a “you pay for what you get but hey we will take your money” attitude.
Ordered loads from Wiggle, CRC and PBK and not had one problem,.
Are Wiggle,CRC and PBK not British businesses ?

Leodis

Veteran
Ribble's reserve and collect is brilliant (if you live nearby). You get the full choice of a big online retailer, the best prices on most things when you spend over £35 and it's ready to collect in an hour. Delivery on orders isn't the quickest (it's not in Prendas league), but I've never had any reason to complain.

No idea about their bikes, but I'd expect anyone that is selling custom made to order bikes to take a few weeks to supply the bike. If you want a bike straight away then you'd probably be better popping into an LBS and buying a lower spec bike for way more money.

I would expect after spending £2k on a bike not to be lied and fobbed off too over something pretty straight forward.

gbb

Legendary Member
DON'T BICYCLES NEED PEDALS?
I went to the Ribble Preston store which is very sparse, so don't expect to see examples of goods/ parts to choose from. The chap who took my order seemed pleasant and knowledgable. I upgraded numerous parts to a Ribble Sportive Bianco at extra cost and having paid over £1100 I was told it was quiet so the bicycle would be ready soon, but could take up to 2 weeks.
At two weeks with no word so I called: it is due to be built this week. At exactly 3 weeks since ordering I went to collect. I wish they just told me 3 weeks and delivered on time. The bicycle was rolled out with a bag - instantly I ask "Are the pedals in the bag?" No - that should have been explained. Instead of providing a basic set of pedals which you can upgrade if you wish - you get none! DON'T ORDER AND EXPECT TO CYCLE HOME. In addition the bottle carrier, mud guards: you need to add yourself it's not included in the build.
Overall - disappointed; they let themselves down.
While i'm genuinely sorry you didnt get the service you thought you might...i gotta say, your expectations seem a little puzzling.
I have the Sporive Racing, fanatstic bike not disimilar to yours, good service from Ribble, arrived dead on time etc etc...but I NEVER expected to get mudguards or a bottle holder...why would you ?
Pedals, again, many bikes dont have them fitted, many people prefer to fit their own...and IIRC, the bikebuilder does state clearly, pedals not included but of course, allows you to add them into the build.
TBF, perhaps Ribble are often dealing with people who are experienced inbuying and already know the deal...and forget that not everyone knows all the ins and outs of the process...that is regretable, but much of your expectations seemed beyond what is normal TBF.

amaferanga

Veteran
Ribble are cheap but they are still slack arses on customer service and communication. Sometimes wish I had just ordered a Canyon or Planet X maybe even a Rose but I am sure once the bikes arrives and I am riding it will be a cracking bike and just hope when it does arrive there are no problems or I need to question the warranty on the product.

What makes you think Planet X are any better/different to Ribble? On the whole my dealings with Planet X have been good, but they ballsed up my bike order (Planet X Nanolight) a few years ago. It was sorted eventually, but it took a while. Like I said before, if you're buying a built to order bike then it will take longer and there may be some niggles with the parts you choose for the build, but the alternative is to pay significantly more for a similar spec bike from one of the big brands.

Have you not read of all the problems some people have had with very, very long waits for Canyon bikes????

Ribble maybe aren't the best when it comes to customer service, but for the bike builds they're no better or worse than anyone offering similar.

Leodis

Veteran
I will wait and see what the bike is like when it turns up, meant to have paid for parcelforce 48 and looks still to be in Manchester Hub from Thursday, so at some point next week whilst I am at work it will turn up.

So thats it then hes not going to tell us and we have all been had But we may have learnt a little about customer service And I only came on here to try and find out about The Planet X nano light bike R.E if to build or to get one direct As just priced up a build and see its more money (well thats putting the best of every thing on it) I supose I will have to make some cuts

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Everyone makes mistakes sometimes. The mark of a good supplier is how they deal with those mistakes, and in my experience this is where Ribble fall down compared to others.

When I had a problem with a warranty (Manufacturing defect in a wheel hub) even contacting Ribble was a nightmare. They failed to respond to numerous emails over a 2 week period, their phone line was repeatedly replaced with a message saying "We're busy and not taking calls right now - please email us".

Eventually the problem was resolved, but I was left with the overall impression that Ribble really didn't care about customer service. I'd used them lots of times prior to this, and never had an issue - they seemed as good as anyone at sticking what you'd ordered in a box, and the prices were reasonable.

However, the apparent lack of after sales service really put me off purchasing anything that might potentially go expensively wrong. Hence the purchase last year of a Planet X RT-57 rather than a Ribble Stealth.

Oh and the planned new bike next year for Mrs Kes. will likely also come from Planet X, as so far dealing with them has been a much more pleasant experience.

michaelcycle

p007_image_2.jpg

Yeah, I didn't get what that was about either...

Top Bottom