...dont' be fooled, a leopard never changes its spots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
DON'T BICYCLES NEED PEDALS?
I went to the Ribble Preston store which is very sparse, so don't expect to see examples of goods/ parts to choose from. The chap who took my order seemed pleasant and knowledgable. I upgraded numerous parts to a Ribble Sportive Bianco at extra cost and having paid over £1100 I was told it was quiet so the bicycle would be ready soon, but could take up to 2 weeks.
At two weeks with no word so I called: it is due to be built this week. At exactly 3 weeks since ordering I went to collect. I wish they just told me 3 weeks and delivered on time. The bicycle was rolled out with a bag - instantly I ask "Are the pedals in the bag?" No - that should have been explained. Instead of providing a basic set of pedals which you can upgrade if you wish - you get none! DON'T ORDER AND EXPECT TO CYCLE HOME. In addition the bottle carrier, mud guards: you need to add yourself it's not included in the build.
Overall - disappointed; they let themselves down.

Yes.....

Leodis

Veteran
DON'T BICYCLES NEED PEDALS?
I went to the Ribble Preston store which is very sparse, so don't expect to see examples of goods/ parts to choose from. The chap who took my order seemed pleasant and knowledgable. I upgraded numerous parts to a Ribble Sportive Bianco at extra cost and having paid over £1100 I was told it was quiet so the bicycle would be ready soon, but could take up to 2 weeks.
At two weeks with no word so I called: it is due to be built this week. At exactly 3 weeks since ordering I went to collect. I wish they just told me 3 weeks and delivered on time. The bicycle was rolled out with a bag - instantly I ask "Are the pedals in the bag?" No - that should have been explained. Instead of providing a basic set of pedals which you can upgrade if you wish - you get none! DON'T ORDER AND EXPECT TO CYCLE HOME. In addition the bottle carrier, mud guards: you need to add yourself it's not included in the build.
Overall - disappointed; they let themselves down.

Did you order online or did they spec it in the shop online for you? I ask because it states at the bottom of bike builder whether you want pedals or not. In regards to the guards, why would you spoil such a good looking bike?

vickster

Legendary Member
Did you order online or did they spec it in the shop online for you? I ask because it states at the bottom of bike builder whether you want pedals or not. In regards to the guards, why would you spoil such a good looking bike?

To be able to ride it in the wet, to work, club rides, with friends etc?

Bit poor that they didn't offer to stick a £5 pair of basic flats on it if collected in store

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Ordered a bike from them a few weeks ago, the service has been pretty s*** tbh, they do answer the phone and emails more than I understand they used to but answering the phone doesn’t mean they actually do what you have asked or needed them to do.. It’s just more of been fobbed off and lied to that is shocking. Then again it’s what British business is all about, no customer service and a “you pay for what you get but hey we will take your money” attitude.

Ordered loads from Wiggle, CRC and PBK and not had one problem, in fact I got a nice energy pack from PBK on an order which was decent, Ribble owe me some cash from change of tyres and just got fobbed off with “finance will sort it”.

Ribble are cheap but they are still slack arses on customer service and communication. Sometimes wish I had just ordered a Canyon or Planet X maybe even a Rose but I am sure once the bikes arrives and I am riding it will be a cracking bike and just hope when it does arrive there are no problems or I need to question the warranty on the product.

That's a bit too sweeping - I have dealt with many that are *hit hot on customer service.

Shopped at Ribble once about 20 years ago, and bought top of the range Giro helmet

One of the straps came away from the fixing point on the first day of wear so sent it back with a covering letter

They returned the broken helmet saying that it was "fair wear and tear" so could do nothing about it!

3 months later with an expert opinion and a small claims court I got my money back, but never shopped there again

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Well as others have said the OP was rather vague with what his problem seems to be with Ribble. He could have given us some clues.
He has obviously had some bad experience with a purchase.
All I have to say about Ribble is that on a number of occasions I have purchased items from them and I have been extremely satisfied with them.
Prices have been competitive and the items turn up pretty soon and as described.

Noodley

Ordered from Ribble this week, delivery the next day. I have many years of excellent experiences with Ribble, I've never had a problem with them - including bike builder. Then again, maybe they only provide excellent service to people who deserve it? :tongue:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I got chased by a leopard once. I was going uphill at an easy pace but upped the speed a little. The leopard chased even faster but I knew it was wasting energy. Just before it caught me, I knew it was about to blow. This was when I dropped down a couple of gears and sped away from it.

Hence the saying ''a leopard never spots your changes,'' I suppose.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Used Ribble for the first time for a new triple Tiagra Hollowtech 2 chainset a couple of weeks ago as they were the cheapest by some way. The service was brilliant, would definitely use them again.

Top Bottom