Don't 'buddy' me, buddy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, as a Londoner, I use 'mate', but that doesn't mean that you're my mate, or that I am yours.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The man in my local petrol station appears to be under the misapprehension that i'm his boss.
Every time i go in he says "hi boss"

Hyslop

Veteran
The fruit and veg man at our local market used to call me 'love'! I found it strangely disturbing ... Apparently, it is a Leeds thing.

I am not keen on 'pal', 'mate', 'buddy', or 'brother' either.

The last time my sister called me 'brother', I didn't speak to her for a week! :laugh:
In my first week in Sheffield,boarding a bus to ride around and get my bearings, a tattooed muscular bus driver called me "love".As I was used to "marra" or "chore" it was something of a surprise!It was simply his way,and ,by sitting next to the cab<I gained a lot of local info and got my Sheffield geography sorted.But,by now being ahead of the game ,it was funny to see the looks on other students faces in the days to come.

Hyslop

Veteran
...and whatever happened to here's you change sir thank you, "there ya go" doesn't cut it for me and if this is followed by "have a grreat day" I need to be restrained.
The answer to"Have a great day" is,I gather,"Thank You,but I have other plans".For some reason,I think that ought to be attributed to Michael Bentine,but it may well have been Alan Coren.

Reactions: srw

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Listen buddy...at least he didn't call you dude.
Well that's just, like, your opinion man.
giphy.gif

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I use mate (Londoner) and I'm happy with mate back.

I'm also happy with buddy or even lad as you can be called up here.

All terms of endearment as far as I'm concerned.

I do dislike being called Mr though - the opticians did it the other day and I hate it.

dodgy

Around here, young staff in coffee shops or pubs greet you with "are you ok?".

They all do it, no idea why. I almost want to be pedantic and say "yes, fine". I'd prefer it if they asked "can I help you".

Even worse are customers who then say "Can I get <insert item name".

This should be in trivial things that annoy you ;)

Top Bottom