Don't 'buddy' me, buddy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
There's a barmaid I quite fancy who always calls me (and probably everyone else) "darling". It always makes me go a little gooey :wub:

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The answer to"Have a great day" is,I gather,"Thank You,but I have other plans".For some reason,I think that ought to be attributed to Michael Bentine,but it may well have been Alan Coren.
Colleague of mine, in America with his elderly mum, girl at a supermarket checkout says to his mum 'have a nice day.' She, a bit hard of hearing: 'sorry my dear?', to which the girl snarled back 'I said have a nice day, are you deaf?'

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The minute I "duded" I knew some smart buddy would pull a Lebowsky on me.

I hope someone calls you madam.*
No need for that, I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in, after all.
giphy.gif

perplexed

Guru
[QUOTE 4312816, member: 259"]You used to get women students in Sheff getting really pissed off about being called 'love' and then gradually realising it was applied to all sexes and stopping worrying about it.[/QUOTE]

'Flower' used to be another common one in Sheffield too...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Some of the younger bar staff hereabouts have taken to calling me 'buddy'. 'Alright, buddy?' 'What can I get you buddy?' No! No, no, no! I am not your buddy. I am not, for that matter, anyone's 'buddy'. Please, desist. Do not address me thus.

To be fair, I find 'mate' almost as annoying, and I also dislike 'sir'. In fact I can't think of any term they could use that wouldn't annoy me at least a bit. Totally unreasonable. But 'buddy' is the worst. 'Buddy' really gets on my tit. I don't know why, but there it is.

(Funnily enough, if an Aussie calls me 'mate', it doesn't bother me at all. No idea why. I guess I'm just too old for logic...)
Agreed. I find an old-fashioned 'Sir' just fine.

Even worse are customers who then say "Can I get <insert item name".

I also can't abide people saying 'Can I get?'
Yeah, makes me think: "Sorry ARE YOU AMERICAN? ARE WE IN AMERICA? Really annoying.

coco69

Veteran
Some of the younger bar staff hereabouts have taken to calling me 'buddy'. 'Alright, buddy?' 'What can I get you buddy?' No! No, no, no! I am not your buddy. I am not, for that matter, anyone's 'buddy'. Please, desist. Do not address me thus.

To be fair, I find 'mate' almost as annoying, and I also dislike 'sir'. In fact I can't think of any term they could use that wouldn't annoy me at least a bit. Totally unreasonable. But 'buddy' is the worst. 'Buddy' really gets on my tit. I don't know why, but there it is.

(Funnily enough, if an Aussie calls me 'mate', it doesn't bother me at all. No idea why. I guess I'm just too old for logic...)

I really am losing the will to live

Last edited:
Top Bottom