Don't Know What to do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Not More Hills

I do hope that you can help?

Earlier on this year I upped my riding my - A nice and easy Spec Hybrid. I was riding regularly and lost stone, completed a charity ride and loved the bike.

Now looking for a bit more speed

As it is the end of the 2010 bikes which would you go for a Trek 1 or a Giant 3.5?

Your thoughts would be most welcome

Thanks

J

Eddie

I was in a similar position recently. I discounted the Giant as I wanted a carbon fork but i think it gets quite strong reviews and Giant are obviously a respected brand.

After a fair amount of research I ended up buying a Specialized Allez.

OP
OP
N

Not More Hills

I was in a similar position recently. I discounted the Giant as I wanted a carbon fork but i think it gets quite strong reviews and Giant are obviously a respected brand.

After a fair amount of research I ended up buying a Specialized Allez.

Thanks Eddie- I am a bit short in the arms and long in the legs and find the Allez a bit long for me-I have tried a freinds for a few miles and felt I was constatly stretching for the breaks and have been recomended Giant as they are a bit shorter on the top. I have just seen such good reviews for Trek so don't know what to do!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Erm... I take it that you are a gentleman? If you are short in the arms and long in the legs a women's bike might suit you better. Women have longer legs and shorter torsos than men so women's bikes are built to allow for this.

Eddie

Thanks Eddie- I am a bit short in the arms and long in the legs and find the Allez a bit long for me-I have tried a freinds for a few miles and felt I was constatly stretching for the breaks and have been recomended Giant as they are a bit shorter on the top. I have just seen such good reviews for Trek so don't know what to do!

I think the Giant range takes quite a big jump between 4/3.5 and 3. I seem to remember reading lots of comments to say it was worth the extra cash for the 3.

If you want a slightly more unusual suggestion an you can stick a 58" (or bigger) frame then Merlin cycles have the F95 for £380

http://www.merlincyc...ke_FELT-F95.htm

Which is a crazy price for a £650 bike

Having a look you can pick up some strong deals on the Defy 3 at the moment

http://www.ashcycles...120&language=en

Also I just remembered that one of the bike mags is running a group test on £500 road bikes. I was having a thumb through in WH smiths and I believe they covered around 10 models, may be worth picking up.

OP
OP
N

Not More Hills

Thanks-

I am a bloke- a little bit on the lardy size too!

I have not looked at the Defy 3 as I was offered a new 3.5 for £420 from the Giant shop in Bristol

Crankarm

Guru
It always makes me LoL when newbies come on asking which bike they should buy? So if another poster recommends a bike that turns out to be totally unsuitable for you you'd be a numpty quite frankly for buying it without first giving it a good test ride and seeking assistance/confirmation from the shop to make sure it fits.

You should buy the bike that fits you and you feel most comfortable on taking into account your own needs for your bike ie the terrain you will be cycling and the frequency. Only you know your capabilities. If I had spare money to buy a bike I would be visiting a few bike shops test riding a few bikes on my shortlist and trying to cut the best deal for the one I knew that was right for me.

OP
OP
N

Not More Hills

Thanks Crankarm- The Trek and the Giant are my shortlist. I am taking them both out again in the next couple of days. Just wondering if anyone had either of these and if the build was any good and how the equipment is on them.

J

Globalti

Legendary Member
My advice would be not to get too obsessed about equipment levels because it is so easy to upgrade later as funds allow and as you become more knowledgeable and demanding. Concentrate on the fit, as advised by Crankarm and the ride quality. Each bike will ride differently and that's a function of the frame and forks and to some extent the seatpost and bars. My other advice would be not to go for a full aluminium frame as I find them too stiff over long distances. Get at least carbon forks or if you can, a quality steel frame and forks. Just my preference, mind.

Crankarm

Guru
Thanks Crankarm- The Trek and the Giant are my shortlist. I am taking them both out again in the next couple of days. Just wondering if anyone had either of these and if the build was any good and how the equipment is on them.

J

Trek build quality is second to none IMHO. Both my road bike and hybrid Trek bikes are very well made and the paint job is quality. In contrast the paint on my Spec Sirrus is pretty thin and easily chips. Don't know about Giant.

Trek use Bontrager components which are fairly decent quality for the price and if not Shimano components. What you don't want IMHO is unbranded cheap and nasty components eg hubs or anything made by Truvativ (heavy and nasty) or Ritchey (snaps) eg transmission or stems.

Good luck.

kewb

i was faced with exactly the same choice of bikes +2 more cube peloton and ariel for xtra £`s ,

in the end 

i bought this ,

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/images/ProductImages/fullsize/Bikes/Others/10CubeBWAriel.jpg

its fantastic treks speshes ten a penny on the street and adored  ridden by overweight salesmen looking to impress lol sorry tongue firmly in cheek ,

i know they are good bikes just atract a certain crowd ,

think i,ll stop digging now lol .

giants are great !  :whistle:

awfulquiet

Trek 1 series: the 1.5 that I worked on at the LBS had no-name brake calipers and components from some factory in China. It's a bike for someone starting out who doesn't want to invest too much money. The LBS manager says it's not a bike for anyone "serious" about cycling, or looking for a dependable / durable bike. (this you will see later when you have to start to replace components...)

Giant 3.5 has Shimano 2300 with an 8 speed cassette (!)

The Trek 1.5 has full Tiagra, same quality as older 105 (or so they say).

Could I recommend you take a look at a KTM Strada 1000 ? http://ktm-bikes.at/en/road/road/road-aluminium/Strada1000.php

Top Bottom