Don't ride in groups or we will be stopped cycling completely.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Er... so why can't I go cycling with my son? We live in the same house.

Because a few bellends insist on spoiling it for all of us

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I agree, hopefully the invincible weekend warriors won't be out again.
As an aside, I use my bike to cycle to work, and as someone classed as a key worker it would be interesting to see how that is approached...
As above, hope folks behave this weekend & we can carry on as we are at present. Also a key worker, so would like to be able to carry on cycling to work (min 16 miles each way) I'll even offer to work more shifts to help out if I can cycle in 😊

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think that we stay-at-homes probably will get banned but the government surely would have to make an exception for people cycling to essential jobs or to distant shops?

If we were restricted to (say) a 5 km/3 mile radius of home it would still leave me a nice selection of challenging scenic loops. That sounds like a nightmare to police though...

Drago

Legendary Member
And once again, despite this country facing the biggest peacetime crisis in it's history, the national pastime of sticking ones nose into other peoples business instead of getting on with it and minding their own, continues rampant and unabated. Nice to know the nation has it's priorities right.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I haven’t seen groups, where I am.
I saw a family. Mum, Dad, 2 x kids under 12 or so but no club types. Apart from that family, I have only seen solo riders.

I ride with ex BF. We ride well apart, 7 or 8 metres or so. We have a whistle each In case we need to alert the other. Then if either of us has a mechanical, or falls in the cut, it’s only a quick ride to one of our homes to get a car and to rescue the other. We did, unofficially, live together but now both live alone. I think that we are the only people that each other see presently.

so we sort of ride solo but with back up, if that makes sense.

Inspector Monkfish

New warning from HMG don't cycle in groups or cycling will be banned completely.

Personally getting out on the bike is keeping me sane don't screw it up for all of us.

Not that I disagree with the sentiment. But HMG haven't warned anything of the sort have they?

British cycling and Chris Boardman may have suggested that it will happen. But there has been nothing on the subject from the government as far as I'm aware. If I'm wrong then please link me to the warning

vickster

Legendary Member
Not that I disagree with the sentiment. But HMG haven't warned anything of the sort have they?

British cycling and Chris Boardman may have suggested that it will happen. But there has been nothing on the subject from the government as far as I'm aware. If I'm wrong then please link me to the warning
It's been made very clear that you may only cycle alone or with members of your direct household

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coronavirus-guidance-on-access-to-green-spaces
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...dance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others

Also: Do not meet others, even friends or family.

Last edited:
I went for a solo ride yesterday up the Taff Trail between Cardiff and Pontypridd. Probably less cyclists out than usual and most solo or in parent/kid pairs, but there was one group of three 50ish men. These took up most of the approx 3m wide path and I let them know I wanted to overtake but they hogged the whole path, chatting away, for two miles so I could not safely pass them. In the end I took a cheeky detour at a junction and got ahead of them.

I think recreational/exercise riding will soon be banned so I bought a turbo trainer last week to keep fit for when it starts again. Even if it is not banned and the virus situation worsens I may decide to stick to the trainer. I lived without cycling for 50 years, I can do without it for a few months.

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
I think you're right @Inspector Monkfish. However, we don't get to negotiate with the government or the police: if people are seen to be acting like they are on holiday rather than in quasi-lockdown then the clampdown will follow just like it has done in Italy and France.

Top Bottom