Don't ride in groups or we will be stopped cycling completely.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
I think you're right @Inspector Monkfish. However, we don't get to negotiate with the government or the police: if people are seen to be acting like they are on holiday rather than in quasi-lockdown then the clampdown will follow just like it has done in Italy and France.

The way people are behaving it won’t be long.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
New warning from HMG don't cycle in groups or cycling will be banned completely.
Do you have a link? Or is it just your opinion?

Not saying I disagree, just that there's so much misinformation about it would be best to reference the statement you refer to.

Edit beaten to it by @Inspector Monkfish

lane

Veteran
Well strictly speaking you can but the rest of the world doesn't know that you are family so it looks like you aren't part of the solution. If you live together, don't you want a break from each other from time to time?

Despite living together I get plenty break from them. Now we go for a walk in the evening is the main time I get to talk to my son.

classic33

Leg End Member
The problem may have come about in part, by a simple increase in the number of people now cycling. Local to me, there are another six people riding bikes/e-bikes this week. Two I never thought I'd see on a bike.

If there's an increase in the number of people cycling and a decrease in cars on the roads, the cyclists will stand out even more. There's no new roads appeared this week, so they end up on the same roads.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not that I disagree with the sentiment. But HMG haven't warned anything of the sort have they?

British cycling and Chris Boardman may have suggested that it will happen. But there has been nothing on the subject from the government as far as I'm aware. If I'm wrong then please link me to the warning
British Cycling is part funded by government and a government agency appoints a couple of directors IIRC.

But the ex footballer leading it seems to have decided to curry favour and get some publicity by attacking cyclists. As we've seen repeatedly, BC is not a charity so is not as strictly required to act for public benefit.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I can see coming that we're allowed within a mile from home. 2km from home's been implemented in Ireland from this weekend.

As usual the stupid few spoil it for the rest.
Why does this only apply to cyclists? The met clocked joyriders doing 134 on a 40-limit bit of the A10 yesterday but there's no suggestion that the stupid few will result in private individuals being stopped from driving completely.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
NHS advice...

NHS said:
You should only leave the house for 1 of 4 reasons:
  • shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible
  • one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle – alone or with members of your household
  • any medical need, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person
  • travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home
Important
These 4 reasons are exceptions – even when doing these activities, you should be minimising time spent outside of the home and ensuring you are 2 metres apart from anyone outside of your household.
That is beginning to sound like a very short walk/run/bike ride!

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
Something weird going here , I’m sure I titled this thread
“ Richmond Park “

PK99

Legendary Member
Box Hill :wacko: Hopefully Surrey plod are in strong attendance. Ditto to disperse the bikers although hopefully the carpark is well and truly locked down

Top half of box hill zig zag road is a "Private Road" road owned by the National Trust. It is not a public right of way and can be closed to any or all forms of traffic at any time

albal

Guru
I think that we stay-at-homes probably will get banned but the government surely would have to make an exception for people cycling to essential jobs or to distant shops?

If we were restricted to (say) a 5 km/3 mile radius of home it would still leave me a nice selection of challenging scenic loops. That sounds like a nightmare to police though...
Didn't I read somewhere a guy in rural France upload a 20km ride to Strava only to be paid a visit by gendarmerie?... I doubt the idiots don't read this sort of thing and it's seems inevitable. Shame.

I too of course hope there is not a total ban on cycling or walking for that matter. From what I have seen though there are some who are not taking the situation seriously enough. I am talking all, not just cyclists. I think if people were, then they would be wearing face masks, assuming they could get hold of some. We made our own and feel a bit better about going to the shops, well Mrs S stays at home as she is an at risk candidate.
Stay well and the mind active folks.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I too of course hope there is not a total ban on cycling or walking for that matter. From what I have seen though there are some who are not taking the situation seriously enough. I am talking all, not just cyclists. I think if people were, then they would be wearing face masks, assuming they could get hold of some. We made our own and feel a bit better about going to the shops, well Mrs S stays at home as she is an at risk candidate.
Stay well and the mind active folks.
There are only two tangible benefits to a face mask. If you cough or sneeze it helps stop droplets being exhaled and secondly my help remind you not to touch your face while out and about. In terms of inhaling droplets, having them on your skin etc. from others face masks are pointless, once they become damp they are ineffective.

Top Bottom