Don't ride in groups or we will be stopped cycling completely.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yep, the great british public are proving that they cant adhere to even the most basic of instructions, so we'll get the screw tightened as a result. France has now stipulated that exercise must be within a 1km radius of home and for no more than an hour each day, and that's pretty generous compared to spain and italy.
You do realise that all the nobbers pushing the idea that a tight distance limit is imminent/inevitable are basically encouraging people to think they'd better get any long rides done ASAP?

If that causes said tight limits, none of you have the right to say "told you so" about something you helped cause!

mjr

We as cyclists are very fortunate at the moment that our pastime / sport is cycling because we are allowed under the government guidelines to use our bikes to exercise outside once per day.
Yes and if the hobbyists cause problems for those of us riding for transport or health, expect consequences when this is over!

Drago

Legendary Member
You do realise that all the nobbers pushing the idea that a tight distance limit is imminent/inevitable are basically encouraging people to think they'd better get any long rides done ASAP?

If that causes said tight limits, none of you have the right to say "told you so" about something you helped cause!

I'm not responsible for any other persons behaviour. Typical of the cynical whining state of the nation to think people can blame someone other than themselves for that which they do.

I'm not urging, encouraging or suggesting that people should do anything other than obey the restrictions, both to the letter and spirit of the law.

And just for the record, I'm not pushing any such thing - I merely report that the government themselves have informed the public that it they do not stop behaving like twits then they will turn the screw. You may as well direct your ire to the website of the Guardian or BBC news if you believe that such an utterance will actually compell people to do the opposite.

It's a cold, hard reality. Behave now, or be compelled to behave later.

mjr

I'm not responsible for any other persons behaviour. Typical of the cynical whining state of the nation to think people can blame someone other than themselves for that which they do.
I ain't doing it, medduck! I can just see the effect of words like yours on others. Both groups are being awful. Those talking up tightening and those taking advantage of the liberal rules. I don't understand why either group is being so foolish.

I'm not urging, encouraging or suggesting that people should do anything other than obey the restrictions, both to the letter and spirit of the law.
I think you're not daft enough so as not to know what your words will encourage some to do.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
We as cyclists are very fortunate at the moment that our pastime / sport is cycling because we are allowed under the government guidelines to use our bikes to exercise outside once per day. The obvious thinking behind this is to keep fit. Having said that a number of cyclists I know are riding relatively long distances stopping for a break and taking food such as sandwiches or buying from a take away cafe or roadside van. Regardless of the fact that they are all aware and following the social distancing rules, I'm just interested in the thoughts of others as to whether you think this is in the spirit of the guidelines or not.
This has been a very real topic of conversation amongst my fellow club members. We have all reached the conclusion, independently and through engaging in discussion on the club FB page, that +/- 2 hours, 25-35 miles is a reasonable amount of daily exercise.

Most of us would expect a ride to be 60-80 miles at this time of year and be out for 4-5 hours.

The general consensus is we are extremely fortunate that our sport is probably the only one in the UK which has not been closed down. We feel it would be taking the p*** and immoral to do anymore than this when millions of others can't do anything they love and enjoy.

This is simply a conclusion a large group of responsible, civilised individuals have reached through discussion. Nothing more, nothing less. No moralising. Everyone can do what they wish, simply though we all believe this is fair and reasonable.

Since the lockdown I've seen one 50+ ride on Strava and 100+ from people I know.

The club has officially set up four Zwift rides to help everyone keep in touch and having fun. These have gone down an absolute storm.

pawl

Legendary Member
This has been a very real topic of conversation amongst my fellow club members. We have all reached the conclusion, independently and through engaging in discussion on the club FB page, that +/- 2 hours, 25-35 miles is a reasonable amount of daily exercise.

Most of us would expect a ride to be 60-80 miles at this time of year and be out for 4-5 hours.

The general consensus is we are extremely fortunate that our sport is probably the only one in the UK which has not been closed down. We feel it would be taking the p*** and immoral to do anymore than this when millions of others can't do anything they love and enjoy.

This is simply a conclusion a large group of responsible, civilised individuals have reached through discussion. Nothing more, nothing less. No moralising. Everyone can do what they wish, simply though we all believe this is fair and reasonable.

Since the lockdown I've seen one 50+ ride on Strava and 100+ from people I know.

The club has officially set up four Zwift rides to help everyone keep in touch and having fun. These have gone down an absolute storm.

Pity more people don’t show the the same sense of responsibility

D

Deleted member 26715

Pity more people don’t show the the same sense of responsibility
I'm not sure that is sensible without other information, is/are this "group of responsible, civilised individuals" intending to do this solely on their own or in groups? Where do they all live, urban or rural, I personally think they are different, in an urban setting you are more likely to come in contact & encroach somebody else's 2m zone, whereas in a rural area it is far less likely.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
I can report that the groups of roadies that were out last weekend have disappeared today.

I can usually identify them from the garden by the loud voices and even louder freehubs.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm not sure that is sensible without other information, is/are this "group of responsible, civilised individuals" intending to do this solely on their own or in groups? Where do they all live, urban or rural, I personally think they are different, in an urban setting you are more likely to come in contact & encroach somebody else's 2m zone, whereas in a rural area it is far less likely.

Virtually everyone is riding solo with the exception of those who live together and a very small number who are riding in twos spaced 30-50 metres apart. That is just two people not several in a long line.

The location is West Lancashire we live in both urban and rural areas. Our rides are generally almost entirely rural except where it is necessary to pass the outskirts of a town.

I understand the distinction between urban and rural but personally feel this is not relevant. For me to take the view we are riding in a rural area and can therefore go out in a group is not adhering to the spirit of what we have all been asked to do.

Quite a number, including myself, have taken to moving as far away from walkers as we possibly can when safe to do so. We are getting a LOT of smiles and waves for this. By making it very clear we respect others we hope this increases respect for all cyclists.

As far as I know virtually everyone has stopped wearing club kit.

D

Deleted member 26715

I understand the distinction between urban and rural but personally feel this is not relevant. For me to take the view we are riding in a rural area and can therefore go out in a group is not adhering to the spirit of what we have all been asked to do.
It is relevant as you have decided to flaunt what you have been asked to do, you have been asked to limit you exercise to 1 hour, you have all decided to ignore that as you clearly know better & double the amount of time. The relevance of urban/rural is that in an urban scenario your risk of contact or the potential to spread the infection is likely to be greater due to the greater risk of contact.
As far as I know virtually everyone has stopped wearing club kit.
I'm not surprised less chance of being identified

Top Bottom