Don't ride in groups or we will be stopped cycling completely.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
@Milkfloat
I guess your not with it today, I self isolated, so three families who live in different houses would
not be at risk or put others in their homes at risk, I do all the travelling, shopping, collection pensions
and paying bills for them.
I then disinfect their orders, and leave their orders / food medicine sitting for a time, before I put it outside in a different collection area with different access routes for each, so the recipients never come into contact with each other.

Try thinking out of the box, and you you might just figure out why its better for one person
to enter the risk zones, while the others are kept as isolated as possible.
Just what is so special that you need two separate post offices and two separate filing stations? I have racked my brain and cannot think of anything that justifies putting so many people at risk.

It is relevant as you have decided to flaunt what you have been asked to do, you have been asked to limit you exercise to 1 hour, you have all decided to ignore that as you clearly know better & double the amount of time. The relevance of urban/rural is that in an urban scenario your risk of contact or the potential to spread the infection is likely to be greater due to the greater risk of contact.
I'm not surprised less chance of being identified

Who have we been asked to do that by in the UK? Is it official advice?

I read this about what Michael Gove said about length of time to exercise:
"Michael Gove explained that “people can go for the standard length of run or walk that they ordinarily would have done” and emphasised that the important thing is that they limit it to once a day"

People may sometimes be a bit confused by the slight differences in what politicians say, you included, but I have seen no-one on this forum who appears to be flouting or ignoring official guidelines.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It is relevant as you have decided to flaunt what you have been asked to do, you have been asked to limit you exercise to 1 hour, you have all decided to ignore that as you clearly know better & double the amount of time. The relevance of urban/rural is that in an urban scenario your risk of contact or the potential to spread the infection is likely to be greater due to the greater risk of contact.

I'm not surprised less chance of being identified

Re the urban/rural bit I may have misunderstood your original comment - I'm not sure. I was attempting to say I feel restrictions, guidelines or whatever should apply equally in rural and urban locations. I thought you were suggesting there should be a distinction between the two environments. Apologies if I had that wrong.

Have cyclists been asked to only exercise for one hour? If so I'm genuinely not aware of this and I haven't heard any fellow riders speak of this.

Personally I don't feel I'm flaunting any guidelines but as I say I'm unaware of cyclists being asked to only ride for an hour. Given I would normally ride five hours a day 3-4 times a week I feel two hours is reasonable.

Have you got a link please?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Phaeton I know you highlighted my "civilised/responsible individuals" and I'd like to explain why I used the phrase.

Locally I've seen police vehicles patrolling moorland roads popular with walkers, close car parks in a local village and ask visitors to leave and close all access roads to one local village. Each place being busy with walkers, fell runners etc. All this was yesterday.

On the same day five fire crews were deployed to tackle a blaze on local moorland which was started by a group BBQing. The area had only just begun to recover from the devastating fires of 2018. The police had to close several roads.

This is the type of behaviour I'd describe as uncivilised and irresponsible. Hence my description of the many cyclists I know.

Re the urban/rural bit I may have misunderstood your original comment - I'm not sure. I was attempting to say I feel restrictions, guidelines or whatever should apply equally in rural and urban locations. I thought you were suggesting there should be a distinction between the two environments. Apologies if I had that wrong.

Have cyclists been asked to only exercise for one hour? If so I'm genuinely not aware of this and I haven't heard any fellow riders speak of this.

Personally I don't feel I'm flaunting any guidelines but as I say I'm unaware of cyclists being asked to only ride for an hour. Given I would normally ride five hours a day 3-4 times a week I feel two hours is reasonable.

Have you got a link please?

You will not get a link for the UK because the 1 hour limit does not exist.

It does in France, and is even stronger in Spain and Italy. Perhaps, or probably, we will be there soon and I will certainly not try to exceed or get around any limits that are imposed. I will listen to official advice and I may decide to be even stricter with my own limits.

D

Deleted member 26715

On the same day five fire crews were deployed to tackle a blaze on local moorland which was started by a group BBQing. The area had only just begun to recover from the devastating fires of 2018. The police had to close several roads.
According to the Fire Brigade the highlighted is Fake news

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Just back from a 10 mile loop around the lanes and bridleways hereabouts out on the fen, and lots of cyclists out. All in pairs or what I assume were small family groups. No big groups which is encouraging. Whilst motorised traffic levels are markedly down, they are still higher than I would have expected. There must be a lot of essential car journeys going on.

Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised when our village magazine's COVID 19 advice page suggests 'go for a drive' as a recommended activity during lockdown, whilst failing to even mention cycling at all :cursing:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
According to the Fire Brigade the highlighted is Fake news
Do you have a link please as it was widely reported as such on local media last night.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-lancashire-52068797

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-lancashire-52068797

Given the water table is currently very high on the moors it's hard to imagine this was a natural occurrence.

Just what is so special that you need two separate post offices and two separate filing stations? I have racked my brain and cannot think of anything that justifies putting so many people at risk.
One didn’t have what the other did, sold out, these post offices are in food
stores.
Food is plentiful, disinfectant / sanatiser , masks and disposable gloves have to be
hunted for on any given trip, so I do the shops in Two local towns, and call it quits
until the next weeks shop is undertaken.
I had to try to find these items because of the non compliance with the government guidelines
and common sense dead in the water, I knew the lockdown was imminent, and now a day
later it is here.

D

Deleted member 26715

Top Bottom