Don't ride in groups or we will be stopped cycling completely.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Could be anything, from the minor thing of finally aborting the long-promised relaxation of the cycle racing regs, to the nuclear option on not lifting the ban on non-family group rides and terminating BC's govt-controlled funding and that time no non-racers coming to racing's aid.

In short, an official backlash against racing clubs.

It will not happen long-term any more than people will be banned from walking up Snowdon or other National Parks because of the actions of some, or everyone will be banned from shopping because some people are flouting the social-distancing guidelines, or that garden party BBQs will be banned forever because of the actions of some.

Were any of the groups of cyclists on organised club runs or were they just small groups of selfish idiots friends doing their own thing? I wish that cycling clubs would make it absolutely clear to their members that they will lose their membership if they do such a thing.

Stupid selfish things are happening all over the country at the moment, not just by cyclists.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I hope sensibly I had cut back to 12 mile lunchtime sprints but I got the NHS texts and letters that they consider me vulnerable. Fortunately my nurse practitioner dealing with my specific case doesn't consider me to be so and says I shouldn't 100% self isolate just be cautious. Took Friday as a rest day and this was my activity today View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/46324220

Fortunately I had upgraded my turbo and rollers (to smart ones) at the start of chemo, expecting not to be able to get out but I did. So for now they're a novelty but I suspect that will wear off.

Looks to be a well thought out solution.

Handy you have the resources for a smart trainer, although as you say, wearing it out is the challenge.

I have a cheapo exercise bike which I hate, but I suspect I would hate a thousand pound smart set up almost as much.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Riding home from work at lunchtime today... the one way system around the town centre is usually full of cars on a Saturday. Today I saw three and one was a road sweeper. A glance down Market Street; the usually packed pedestrianised outdoor market area... not a single stall and only two people in view. I usually have to wait for traffic to clear before making my way up Meeting House Lane; nothing. Only the sound of a squeaky shop sign blowing in the wind filled my ears... and the sound of the man with a harmonica filled my mind.
Sounds like you accidentally stepped into a Western.^_^

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Were any of the groups of cyclists on organised club runs or were they just small groups of selfish idiots friends doing their own thing?
Oh, I'm sure it was not an official club ride, but just a group of friends that only know each other from the club going on a ride all wearing the same colours and having coordinated it on club social media and club gps plotter accounts(!) :crazy:

I wish that cycling clubs would make it absolutely clear to their members that they will lose their membership if they do such a thing.
Me too, but BC chose not to make banned group rides a disciplinary offence of any sort, didn't they?

Stupid selfish things are happening all over the country at the moment, not just by cyclists.
Agreed. As I left on my ride today, I encountered four sheepish-looking teenagers in a parked hatchback on our road. They might all live together, but I think it unlikely.

lane

Veteran
In which case it would be wise to cite an authoritative news source.

Carry on as you were. We're all getting a bit tetchy. Some of us are taking it out on others for being less than perfect in various ways.

On the positive side I went out to the shops for the first time in a week. My local mini supermarket had everything I needed, people were keeping their distance and the proprietor has somehow managed to retain his friendly disposition.

I did several posts earlier

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
You have my groveling apologies, I would have put money on it coming out of Boris Johnson's mouth last Monday, but I clearly didn't I will now go & chastise myself with wet lettuce & the egg whisk.

bianchi1

Guru
I did my usual road ride around the Malvern hills today. The trust in charge have closed all the car parking after last weeks crowds. It looks like the message has got through. A few walkers about all social distancing nicely. I made sure I gave folks a nice wide birth, which looked like it was appreciated. About 5 rodies all riding solo, a couple of electric mountain bike heading up the hill paths and a couple of full body armour mountain bikers making the most of the deserted paths.

All in all promising, but I guess the cold weather helped. If we are still in lock down come the warm spring I fear the crowds will return and more strict rules will follow.

Jeez the state of this thread. It starts with a claim about a totally fabricated government announcement and descends into rumour monging about a 1pm curfew and then condemning members of the public for failing to comply with invented requirements (masks are for medical personnel, and have never been recommended for members of the public).

A modest suggestion: read the official government advice and if you want to make a claim then substantiate it with a link to an authoritative source. Just because you think something stands to reason doesn't automatically make it right.
You don’t need to be told to protect yourself and family.
It’s safer to wear a mask and gloves, and to keep clear of others as often
as possible.
Why would anyone wait to be told any of this.

D

Deleted member 26715

??? No one says you are ,
I take it you are not familiar with the comedian character actor Terry Thomas of the 50s -60s , if you you were you would recognise that a “Bounder” in connection with TT is in no way derogatory,
Apologies if you are in anyway offended :smile:
I've very familiar with Terry Thomas thank you, however it was clearly a joke that worked only in my head, "Bounder", "Bouncer", but rest assured it takes more than a few words or images to insult me.
It’s safer to wear a mask and gloves, and to keep clear of others as often as possible.
No it's not, read up about it, unless you know what you're doing removing them you're putting yourself in more danger, that is why there is no Government advice about wearing them

classic33

Leg End Member
I've very familiar with Terry Thomas thank you, however it was clearly a joke that worked only in my head, "Bounder", "Bouncer", but rest assured it takes more than a few words or images to insult me.
No it's not, read up about it, unless you know what you're doing removing them you're putting yourself in more danger, that is why there is no Government advice about wearing them

Attachments

• IMG_20200328_221916.jpg
    IMG_20200328_221916.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom