Don't ride in groups or we will be stopped cycling completely.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
WOT! I have to pay for that each 3rd Thursday, I can't afford to do it twice this week.

But only do it for an hour, if that’s your daily exercise.

wyre forest blues

Über Member
This has been a very real topic of conversation amongst my fellow club members. We have all reached the conclusion, independently and through engaging in discussion on the club FB page, that +/- 2 hours, 25-35 miles is a reasonable amount of daily exercise.

Most of us would expect a ride to be 60-80 miles at this time of year and be out for 4-5 hours.

The general consensus is we are extremely fortunate that our sport is probably the only one in the UK which has not been closed down. We feel it would be taking the p*** and immoral to do anymore than this when millions of others can't do anything they love and enjoy.

This is simply a conclusion a large group of responsible, civilised individuals have reached through discussion. Nothing more, nothing less. No moralising. Everyone can do what they wish, simply though we all believe this is fair and reasonable.

Since the lockdown I've seen one 50+ ride on Strava and 100+ from people I know.

The club has officially set up four Zwift rides to help everyone keep in touch and having fun. These have gone down an absolute storm.
Thank you Paul for your reply. I'm impressed with your club's response. I hope you don't mind but I have posted my question and your reply on our club forum.
Keep safe.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Not that I disagree with the sentiment. But HMG haven't warned anything of the sort have they?

British cycling and Chris Boardman may have suggested that it will happen. But there has been nothing on the subject from the government as far as I'm aware. If I'm wrong then please link me to the warning
I saw the article on the BBC online news site. Cant find it again now to link to. The headline was cycle responsibly or lose the privilige (Or something very similar). When I read it I took it as an official warning but maybe I am wrong.

Either way If cyclists are perceived as flouting the rules and undermining the effectiveness of the lockdown we risk losing at least some of the freedom we currently enjoy.

Reactions: C R

simongt

Guru
I use my bike to cycle to work, and as someone classed as a key worker it would be interesting to see how that is approached...
So do I. All the staff at my workplace have been given 'letters of authority' from our CEO stating that we are classed as key workers to show if any of us are challenged whilst commuting. :okay: And today a letter arrived in the post from a 'certain govt. dept.' confirming our status. :thumbsup:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
@Rusty Nails thanks for confirming my understanding of the position. I've had a quick search on the BBC and it is clear we should exercise once a day.

For some riders it is simple to hide a 70, 80, 100 mile ride behind exercising "once a day." I would find this morally unacceptable hence my 25-35, two hours approach.
Like you I've thought about this and decided to limit rides to about two hours. Cyclists are mega lucky to be able to continue but the purpose of cycling must be exercise alone and as such a couple of hours a day is more than enough.

It's a pandemic, not a holiday

Just back from a 10 mile loop around the lanes and bridleways hereabouts out on the fen, and lots of cyclists out. All in pairs or what I assume were small family groups. No big groups which is encouraging.
Are we still talking about riding in groups?? I never saw any myself, but last weekend there was 1 video on Twitter, and quite a few anecdotes flying round: since then I have heard ZERO reports. Have I missed some?

It just seems a non-issue to me - all the groups got massive bollockings and it seems to have gone away.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
On my last outdoor ride on Thursday everyone was riding solo :okay: on the way out but coming back I passed three riders (thankfully on the other side of the road) in close proximity to each other :sad:

As a mileage muncher, how are you applying the restrictions?

I am fortunate in that 10 miles, particularly if I take my pushbike, is a sufficient amount of exercise to qualify for my normal daily amount.

Which is not the case for you and quite a few others on here who regularly cycle much further.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Like you I've thought about this and decided to limit rides to about two hours. Cyclists are mega lucky to be able to continue but the purpose of cycling must be exercise alone and as such a couple of hours a day is more than enough.
No it musn't. I'm off to collect my clicked shopping tomorrow and that won't be exercise alone but is perfectly legal. Please please everyone stop making shoot up.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
what do you mean by that.
Could be anything, from the minor thing of finally aborting the long-promised relaxation of the cycle racing regs, to the nuclear option on not lifting the ban on non-family group rides and terminating BC's govt-controlled funding and that time no non-racers coming to racing's aid.

In short, an official backlash against racing clubs.

As a mileage muncher, how are you applying the restrictions?

I am fortunate in that 10 miles, particularly if I take my pushbike, is a sufficient amount of exercise to qualify for my normal daily amount.

Which is not the case for you and quite a few others on here who regularly cycle much further.
I hope sensibly I had cut back to 12 mile lunchtime sprints but I got the NHS texts and letters that they consider me vulnerable. Fortunately my nurse practitioner dealing with my specific case doesn't consider me to be so and says I shouldn't 100% self isolate just be cautious. Took Friday as a rest day and this was my activity today View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/46324220

Fortunately I had upgraded my turbo and rollers (to smart ones) at the start of chemo, expecting not to be able to get out but I did. So for now they're a novelty but I suspect that will wear off.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Are we still talking about riding in groups?? I never saw any myself, but last weekend there was 1 video on Twitter, and quite a few anecdotes flying round: since then I have heard ZERO reports. Have I missed some?

It just seems a non-issue to me - all the groups got massive bollockings and it seems to have gone away.

Agree. It’s the drivers apparently routinely flouting the laws I’m concerned about. ‘Twas ever thus’ tho as they say.
there’s loads driving out to remote spots on the fen to empty their dogs. Hopeless.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Just rode 10 miles home from a night shift and it's like a freakinn ghost town out there!
Riding home from work at lunchtime today... the one way system around the town centre is usually full of cars on a Saturday. Today I saw three and one was a road sweeper. A glance down Market Street; the usually packed pedestrianised outdoor market area... not a single stall and only two people in view. I usually have to wait for traffic to clear before making my way up Meeting House Lane; nothing. Only the sound of a squeaky shop sign blowing in the wind filled my ears... and the sound of the man with a harmonica filled my mind.

Top Bottom