Don't sleep well after excercise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This has been happening for a few years now, never used to get it but now it's quite a regular thing.

I always sleep very lightly after running or cycling and wake up the next day feeling tired and spaced. It's particulalrly bad if I'm picking up again after a lay off, like now. It gets better the more I do.

So any thoughts or suggestion as to what's going on and how to improve it?

dodgy

I've suffered with this, too. It's counter intuitive really, you'd expect to sleep soundly after exercise, especially vigorous exercise! I would get 'dancing legs' in bed (as I would call it) after any rides >70 miles or so.
I tried some SIS Nocte which did seem to help when it was at its worst, but now for some reason I no longer seem to suffer from dancing legs.
So perhaps it's a phase? Have you recently upped your mileage?

ChrisKH

Guru
You could consider taking Melatonin half an hour before bed. But I know some people don't like taking anything.

I used to find I was sleeping poorly when I had night training sessions so wherever possible I pushed back the time I went to bed and got up later. Not always possible to do that I know.

jimboalee

ChrisKH said:
You could consider taking Melatonin half an hour before bed. But I know some people don't like taking anything.

I used to find I was sleeping poorly when I had night training sessions so wherever possible I pushed back the time I went to bed and got up later. Not always possible to do that I know.

Yup.

I take 5 - Hydroxytryptophan. This promotes the production of Serotonin which in turn promotes Melatonin.

5 - HTP through Serotonin also promotes happiness and is the natural 'depression cure'.
This is why my comments are sometimes crazy and 'off the wall' :thumbsup:

The best place to get 5 -HTP is from one of the Channel Islands Herbal remedy suppliers. About a quarter of the price of Holland & Barratt.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

dodgy said:
Have you recently upped your mileage?

Yeah, just started up again really. so nothing to something, I'm not doing anything beyond 20 miles at the moment. I've had the dancing legs too.

ChrisKH said:

Melatonin, in what form is that and where do you get it? The trouble is I feel tired and want to sleep but just don't sleep very well.

jimboalee said:
This is why my comments are sometimes crazy and 'off the wall' :biggrin:

I knew there was an explanation. :biggrin:

beancounter

Try taking a daily multivitamin / multimineral for the dancing legs, like cramp it's due to a mineral deficiency (I think). Worked for me anyway!

bc

yoyo

I have just ordered melatonin for sleeping and hope it will be the answer. The adrenal glands mention may also be relevant. I am currently suffering from adrenal stress/ fatigue and have not been on any long cycles for a while as I was finding the recovery from anything voer 10 miles a problem. The advice is not to over exercise for fear of putting strain on tired adrenals. I also cannot sleep after exercise.

dodgy

I'm off out now, but another thing that I've realised might have 'cured' me of this condition is to get out as early as possible in the day. I'm a recent convert to getting out early, I used to go out at about midday on a weekend in the summer, but now I try to get out earlier than 9am (before 7am if it's gonna be a hot day).

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I've suffered with this, too. It's counter intuitive really, you'd expect to sleep soundly after exercise, especially vigorous exercise! I would get 'dancing legs' in bed (as I would call it) after any rides >70 miles or so.
I tried some SIS Nocte which did seem to help when it was at its worst, but now for some reason I no longer seem to suffer from dancing legs.
So perhaps it's a phase? Have you recently upped your mileage?

I know it's an old thread but I'm resurrecting it because I still get this happening, like now. I never did try any of the suggestions but I think I may try the extortionately expensive SIS Nocte. I'll try a few sachets first. Reading around about the Melatonin makes me think it's not something I want or need.

I don't particularly know why this happens but after two really quite un-refreshing sleeps, including last night where I was in a kind of waking dream, I was shattered today. I finally crashed out on the couch before and feel 100% better now, so it's just a sleep thing.

Top Bottom