Don't take cake into the office.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
I don't eat cake because I don't like it, but I recall when someone in our drawing office ran a tuck shop: a self-service filing cabinet filled with sweets from the cash & carry, with a price list and an honesty box. I got into the habit of munching just because it was there and because it was a habit, until I saw a photograph of my belly rolling over my belt one day. Then I just stopped, because it was a pointless habit I'd copied from others, and because I didn't need umpteen calories of chocolate a day.

What do you think?
I think that if those who get agitated about the nanny state found it half as easy to resist cake as they claim, they wouldn't be getting agitated. Jebb's right, it's like smoking: those who get the most upset about health warnings on fag packets are likely to be the ones who can't stop smoking. People can eat cake if they want, she's not twisting anyone's arm, but embarrassment at the rudeness of refusing a friend's offer of cake might be.

Gwylan

Veteran
People "play" football
People "play" tiddly winks
Nobody "plays" golf!

They always lose anyway

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
People "play" football
People "play" tiddly winks
Nobody "plays" golf!

That takes me back many years to when I lived in the states. A colleague asked me if I played golf. Except that's not what he said. He said "do you golf?" I just said that I didn't and made a mental note of yet another interesting language difference between the UK and the US.

The verb "to golf": I golf, you golf, he/she/it golfs, we golf, you golf, they golf.

Strange.

He doesn’t like Christmas

Ah ! But he believes in cake in the workplace though . :whistle:

tyred

Legendary Member
Some people are foodaholics just like alcoholics. It does get ridiculous if cakes and chocolates are in the workplace every week rather than just seasonal at Christmas.

That's what it was like in my office. The amount of sweets and cakes brought in was utterly ridiculous and even with the best will in the world, you always ended up eating more of it than you realise as it is all to easy to grab a few Roses from the tin as you walked past. My diet is definitely much healthier since I started working from home when the pandemic started.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Top Bottom