Don't think I need a bowl of water for this one...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mrs V has had as 3 visits from the P fairy on the rear wheel in as many weeks..

Each time the inner tube was binned (please don't judge) a cursory feel around the tyre in the dark and put back together...

After 3rd time i assumed it was more than coincidental.. So bought different make of inner tubes and some rim tape.. Got a bucket of water ready and then found this..

A better look round the tyre in daylight revealed the bead had split away from tyre... How i had missed it before I don't know... Amateur

Attachments

• IMG_20190112_100944.jpg
    IMG_20190112_100944.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 35

pawl

Legendary Member
I think Spec Savers have an advert for this.

OP
OP
simon the viking
I spotted it this time. Just binned previous inner tubes and checked tyre for sharp items... Didnt think to check the bead the first couple of times

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't like to be judgemental so I wouldn't say that everybody 'should' repair every punctured tube but couldn't you simply pass yours on to someone who is happy to? There are lots of us who would gladly spend a few minutes repairing perfectly usable tubes, saving money in the process, and reducing the amount of crap going to landfill every year.

PS If there happen to be any 'non-repairing' CycleChatters who come on my forum rides, feel free to offer me your dead tubes next time I see you! If they are easily repairable and similar to what I normally use then I'd take them off your hands. :okay:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
There are lots of us who would gladly spend a few minutes repairing perfectly usable tubes, saving money in the process, and reducing the amount of crap going to landfill every year.:okay:

Totally agree with the sentiment Colin, but that tube in the OP would make it to the bin for me. I've never successfully repaired a tube where the penetration occured in or close to a ribbed section. Even with fastidious sandpapering, I find the air leaks after some time.

The other problem area is pinch punctures. They don't seem to hold either.

Is there a knack to these?

Edit: due to above I now avoid Conti tubes. I find they are usually extensively ribbed and thus difficult to patch. Schwalbe and Wiggle's Lifeline have minimal ribbed sections.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Totally agree with the sentiment Colin, but that tube in the OP would make it to the bin for me. I've never successfully repaired a tube where the penetration occured in or close to a ribbed section. Even with fastidious sandpapering, I find the air leaks after some time.

The other problem area is pinch punctures. They don't seem to hold either.

Is there a knack to these?
Oops - I have to admit that I didn't look at the photo! :blush:

A big enough patch might sort that out, but I reckon I'd scrap that one too.

I was thinking of the number of people who have told me that they NEVER repair tubes, no matter how minor the damage.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The first time I rode the Cape Argus in Cape Town I punctured with a drawing pin in a quite rough area. Stopped to fix it and was immediately surrounded by half a dozen boys each with a load of inner tubes slung around their necks. Something tells me I wasn't the first to pick up a drawing pin.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
How had I missed it before I don't know... Amateur
I wouldn't beat yourself up. I had 9 punctures in 7 rides over the summer. I finally tracked it down to faulty rim tape. The plastic tape was fine when tube was deflated but somehow, moved when fully inflating thus allowing the tube to be pinched by the nipple hole.

Drago

Legendary Member
And those tubes beyond patching , will gladly be taken by divers as they make great loops and hoops for securing gear

And chopped into short lengths they can be slid over crack arms to prevent scuffing, can be used to waterproof CREE battery packs, as chain stay protectors, or short slices can be used as external weatherseals on headsets and seat post/frame junctions.

The humble inner tube is a wondrous raw material.

OP
OP
simon the viking
I have passed a few on to forum members in the past.. But not recently.. Maybe I should patch.. But most mileage us commuting so need them 100 percent ok... Never quite trust a patched tube.

I didnt check rim tape but boufht some just in case.. So got some as spare next time.

I fitted a part worn tyre I had in the garage it was a far superior tyre to the other when new. Really thick so hopefully Mrs V will be ok now...

Oops just realised the bowl is still full on the patio as a trip hazard... :eek:

Top Bottom