Don't think I was built for cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I caused myself knee problems by grinding away in too high a gear, when I should have dropped it down a couple to spin. I thought that working harder would give me a better work out, and it cost me a month off the bike and it's still not 100% now over a year on.
And I was told by a physio that around 80% of the cyclists she treats with knee problems are due to poorly set up cleats...

dim

He says he's had a bike fit previously

well obviously things never worked out according to the bike fit .... would be good if he tells us where he had the bike fit and how it was performed (you can have a bike fit done at Halfords by a teenager)

my suggestion is that he double checks the fit with the Eddy bike fit calculator results first .... and if he can afford it, a Guru computer fit may be worthwhile (after reading reviews on other forums, I'd love to have one but it's expensive .... it's on my 'wishlist' though)

I'm guessing, but I think that the saddle height and/or the saddle position is not set up correctly (either too far forward, or too far back) .... add that to grinding (especially on hills), and you will get bad knee pain on your strong leg (my left leg is stronger than my right when I peddle)

vickster

Legendary Member
well obviously things never worked out according to the bike fit .... would be good if he tells us where he had the bike fit and how it was performed (you can have a bike fit done at Halfords by a teenager)

my suggestion is that he double checks the fit with the Eddy bike fit calculator results first .... and if he can afford it, a Guru computer fit may be worthwhile (after reading reviews on other forums, I'd love to have one but it's expensive .... it's on my 'wishlist' though)

I'm guessing, but I think that the saddle height and/or the saddle position is not set up correctly (either too far forward, or too far back) .... add that to grinding (especially on hills), and you will get bad knee pain on your strong leg (my left leg is stronger than my right when I peddle)
It was done at Pearsons, says so in the post :smile:

http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/bike-fitting/

They're pretty knowledgeable :smile:

It's entirely possible he has a latent knee injury aggravated by cycling, not necessarily caused by it

dim

It was done at Pearsons, says so in the post :smile:

http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/bike-fitting/

They're pretty knowledgeable :smile:

DOH! ... helps if I read all the posts before posting!

1350405595481779565slap_in_the_face.jpg

Attachments

• 1350405595481779565slap_in_the_face.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 44

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So, to repeat, did you try to go from nothing to fifty miles at 15mph?

And I suspect your saddle position isn't quite right but I hesitate to suggest how without seeing you. I'm much more keen on adjusting things by feel than by doing big bike fits but I'm a retro grouch.

vickster

Legendary Member
DOH! ... helps if I read all the posts before posting!

Indeed

I've not had a fit at Pearsons although they have fitted me to a bike which they built. I didn't personally rate the Retul fit I had at Cadence.

The physio fit was much better as she was familiar with my injuries etc

Attachments

• 1350405595481779565slap_in_the_face.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
So, to repeat, did you try to go from nothing to fifty miles at 15mph?

And I suspect your saddle position isn't quite right but I hesitate to suggest how without seeing you. I'm much more keen on adjusting things by feel than by doing big bike fits but I'm a retro grouch.

No I've been building up from 20miles gradually again upto 50miles over 6 months. I've got the bike set up to how was recommended at the bike fit, but that was a couple of years ago now.

Reactions: mjr

dim

Indeed

I've not had a fit at Pearsons although they have fitted me to a bike which they built. I didn't personally rate the Retul fit I had at Cadence.

The physio fit was much better as she was familiar with my injuries etc

so, you have already had a few bike fits? (Pearsons, Cadence and a physio fit?

vickster

Legendary Member
so, you have already had a few bike fits? (Pearsons, Cadence and a physio fit?
I guess. Not a formal fit by Pearsons, but when I bought the carbon from them, it was set up on the turbo. That's over 5 years ago, not ridden the bike this year :blush:

I had the Retul fit
Then the physio did a bike assessment when I saw her for treatment after knee surgery
My ails on the bike aren't down to fit, but latent injuries and muscle tightness, currently both knees, shoulder

Top Bottom