Don't think I was built for cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No I've been building up from 20miles gradually again upto 50miles over 6 months. I've got the bike set up to how was recommended at the bike fit, but that was a couple of years ago now.
Fit changes, with fitness and core strength amongst others, but knees can also be aggravated by simple position. There's plenty of tips like the old trick about being roughly able to put your heel on the pedal with leg straight, or these days you might be able to video yourself and see if it looks wrong.

How did you build up to the recent fifty that injured you? What were the rides over the previous ten days?

Johnno260

Veteran
May be a latent injury?

I haven't had a proper bike fitting yet, mine was setup at the shop they spent ages with me before I left and made lots of little adjustments.

I suffer for very bad knees and my right hip is junk (old martial arts injuries) but I have found that cycling doesn't aggravate any of those injuries yet.

I do make sure my knees are warm in colder/damp weather though, and I haven't tried anything approaching 50miles yet.

OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
Fit changes, with fitness and core strength amongst others, but knees can also be aggravated by simple position. There's plenty of tips like the old trick about being roughly able to put your heel on the pedal with leg straight, or these days you might be able to video yourself and see if it looks wrong.

How did you build up to the recent fifty that injured you? What were the rides over the previous ten days?

This is my Strava training log - https://www.strava.com/athletes/1793924/training/log

My knee was fine after doing 80 miles the week before. Just strange its gone now, I haven't been on my winter bike that much this year - so it must have something to do with the positioning on that bike, this is the one I had a bike fit on thou (but was a couple of years ago)

You can see on my veloviewer that I have never made it through a year without having to stop due to injury - so frustrating - hence why I think my body is not cut out for cycling!
https://veloviewer.com/athlete/1793924/

OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
I caused myself knee problems by grinding away in too high a gear, when I should have dropped it down a couple to spin. I thought that working harder would give me a better work out, and it cost me a month off the bike and it's still not 100% now over a year on.
And I was told by a physio that around 80% of the cyclists she treats with knee problems are due to poorly set up cleats...

Im definitely not grinding (that sounds wrong!) - my average cadence is around 90, have learnt to spin a high cadence, due to past knee problems.

OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
http://www.activ8rehab.co.uk/sports-science.php

Just seen this place near me, might give them a go for a bike fit. Doesn't list the price on the website, so I'm sceptical it will be expensive! Will contact them today!

Bloody knee!!!

It's only £125 so not too bad, will see what the Physio says on Friday before I book the bike fit

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

My knee was fine after doing 80 miles the week before. Just strange its gone now, I haven't been on my winter bike that much this year - so it must have something to do with the positioning on that bike, this is the one I had a bike fit on thou (but was a couple of years ago)
So 80 on a different bike a week before, then 50 on Sunday - anything in between?

See what the physio says, but you could check the measurements still match the bike fit, but fit varies a bit over time anyway IMO.

You can see on my veloviewer that I have never made it through a year without having to stop due to injury - so frustrating - hence why I think my body is not cut out for cycling!
https://veloviewer.com/athlete/1793924/
"not available" - but I'm trying to understand why you might be having this problem when so many people of so many types cycle. I suspect almost everyone can find some sort of cycling which works for them. Oh well - maybe best wait and see what the physio says if you've some other form of transport to use in the meantime.

OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
I'd figure out what's wrong with the knee before chucking £££ at a bike fit.
Do you have private HC? That'll help facilitate scans etc

Yep - good point
I've got 3 options of bike fit to look at depending on the outcome of Fridays physio visit!

No unfortunately don't have private health care, regret not taking it now. May look to add it next year!

vickster

Legendary Member
Yep - good point
I've got 3 options of bike fit to look at depending on the outcome of Fridays physio visit!

No unfortunately don't have private health care, regret not taking it now. May look to add it next year!
Won't be able to get knee cover unless pay £££ to cover pre existing

The Physio you are seeing will do an on bike assessment too. £95 I think

vickster

Legendary Member
Did you get the bike assessment? I've just read up about it on the website, doesn't seem to be a full bike fit thou??
Yes I did. What do you mean by a full bike fit? She assesses position etc on your bike on the turbo, playing particular attention to how the injured part is being used and affected by cycling

She uses no fancy computer jiggery pokery if that's what you mean?

Top Bottom