Don't think I was built for cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
Yes I did. What do you mean by a full bike fit? She assesses position etc on your bike on the turbo, playing particular attention to how the injured part is being used and affected by cycling

She uses no fancy computer jiggery pokery if that's what you mean?

what if you needed stem changes? did she look into your cleat positioning etc?
im not bothered by fancy computers!

vickster

Legendary Member
what if you needed stem changes? did she look into your cleat positioning etc?
im not bothered by fancy computers!
She would have told me. I'd had a retul fit previously so I knew the sizing was ok. Got much more confidence from the Physio.

Yes to cleats

She used a gonioneter, tape measure, Allen keys and a knowledge of me, cycling and anatomy

Dk what you expect from a fit? Wait and see what she says about your knee. Could simply need an exercise programme, a few good sports massages and stretching

Alternatively you could have actual damage in the knee?

OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
Alternatively you could have actual damage in the knee?

Bloody hope not!

I'm looking forward to Friday and finding out what's wrong with it. Can hopefully then get a bike fit sorted.

Thanks for your help and suggestions everyone!

I've got a 300km and 400km audax planned in for March and April, need to get training!

OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
Has the knee been examined before as you say you've had ongoing issues with it?

About 3 years ago, just suffering from overuse and weak VMO and tight ITB. I do strength and stretching exercises daily and seems to be ok.

My knee now mainly hurts from the back so I don't think it's a recurrence or my past problems! We shall see on Friday!

Doug.

Veteran
Is it possible you are doing to long a distance ?
Possibly ride about 25 miles and see how you feel, you can then cycle further or a lesser distance.
If no problems ride a bit further or even slower
The old saying "make haste slowly "often applies.
However, the best of luck.

OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
Thanks for everyone's help & comments.

I have now had 2 Physio sessions and a bike fit from a sports & medical rehab center.
The problem has probably arisen from my saddle being approx 0.5cm too high and also my cleat position being a little out - which in turn has pulled my Hamstring.

I've got various strength & stretching exercises to do, to increase the strength in my hamstrings & glutes. I can go for small rides but not too long - approx 2 hours before the Hamstring starts to hurt again.

Arghhhhhh, my bloody back has now decided not to work!

Probably off the bike for a couple of months minimum. So annoying!
Doesn't necessarily rule cycling out. Talk to someone. I've got a friend with a degenerative spine condition, who had surgery a few months ago. She'll never fully recover, but she worked out how to modify her ride to be more upright, and she is able to get to the shops and pool and physio.

img_20170203_134005-1-jpg.336012.jpg

OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
Just from sitting at a desk all day! Was about 2 years ago that it flared up again. Now seeing a chiropractor, just as my hamstring was getting better, Sod's law!

Top Bottom