Dont use blue lights, you aint a copper!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Debian said:
It's not for the maximum speed but for the actual speed travelled at.

If this was the case then most of the over 70's would need flashing orange beacons on their nissan micra's :biggrin:

Some of the modern tractors are now capable of travelling at over 25mph ... Fendt ~ Deutz and JCB Fastrac to name a few

Debian

Jakes Dad said:
If this was the case then most of the over 70's would need flashing orange beacons on their nissan micra's :biggrin:

Some of the modern tractors are now capable of travelling at over 25mph ... Fendt ~ Deutz and JCB Fastrac to name a few

This is true of course, and logical, good call :biggrin:

Jezston

Über Member
I bought some cheap lights to put on my clunker whilst I wait for my insurance to come through. Was surprised to read on the instructions stating that you are not to use flashing mode when riding on the road. What?

thomas

the tank engine
Jezston said:
I bought some cheap lights to put on my clunker whilst I wait for my insurance to come through. Was surprised to read on the instructions stating that you are not to use flashing mode when riding on the road. What?

Perhaps old packaging, as in the past flashing lights weren't allowed?

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Just a thought! Flashing blue lights are emergency services but what about steady blue lights? I know the law will have to be changed but a bar of 5 blue LEDs mounted vertically on the seat stays or panniers and only used in conjuction with a steady red light.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
mr_hippo said:
Just a thought! Flashing blue lights are emergency services but what about steady blue lights? I know the law will have to be changed but a bar of 5 blue LEDs mounted vertically on the seat stays or panniers and only used in conjuction with a steady red light.

Nope. Other than red tail light (including brake), a reversing light or indicator you cannot have a light of any other colour on a vehicle facing to the rear!

Vikeonabike said:
Nope. Other than red tail light (including brake), a reversing light or indicator you cannot have a light of any other colour on a vehicle facing to the rear!

I think the moral of the story is ... if you want Blue lights join the Police xx(

Simon

Debian

mr_hippo said:

I repeat: why the fascination with blue, or any other colour lights? What's wrong with red? Why does anyone think they'll more noticeable / safer with blue lights? Can someone give me an explanation? I've already given my opinion that they're, if anything, less safe.

Why not have a bar of red LEDs?

Again to repeat, I've only ever used one, or sometimes two decent red lights and I've never had a problem with not being seen.

So, why blue? xx(

thomas

the tank engine
Debian said:
I repeat: why the fascination with blue, or any other colour lights? What's wrong with red? Why does anyone think they'll more noticeable / safer with blue lights? Can someone give me an explanation? I've already given my opinion that they're, if anything, less safe.

Why not have a bar of red LEDs?

Again to repeat, I've only ever used one, or sometimes two decent red lights and I've never had a problem with not being seen.

So, why blue? xx(

I think because it's a colour that people don't expect from a cyclist so they'll act differently around you.

Personally, I'm more than happy with some red rears and white fronts.

GrasB

Veteran
thomas said:
I think because it's a colour that people don't expect from a cyclist so they'll act differently around you.

Personally, I'm more than happy with some red rears and white fronts.
Thing is most people who don't give a s**t (the ones that you're trying to change the behaviour of) once they realise you're a cyclist act like they always do anyway & all you're doing is confusing the more considerate motorists. Basically people are trying to use lights as a substitute for proper &/or more defensive road positioning.

Debian

GrasB said:
Thing is most people who don't give a s**t (the ones that you're trying to change the behaviour of) once they realise you're a cyclist act like they always do anyway & all you're doing is confusing the more considerate motorists. Basically people are trying to use lights as a substitute for proper &/or more defensive road positioning.

Perhaps this is part of the reason I get no hassle, or very little anyway. I ride very assertively; I'm normally well into the nearside wheel track area, if I need to pass an obstruction I drift out early and gradually rather than pull out at the last second and I always pass parked vehicles a doors width away. I have no hesitation taking primary at the least need.

I don't find many motorists at all taking offence.

mr_hippo said:
Why do you think I said "I know the law will have to be changed..."? There was a change in the law when LEDs were permitted.

But why would you want a Blue light ?

If you fit something like a Cateye LD1100 or Smart 1/2 watt you dont need anything else on the back .. they blind car drivers so they stay well off your rear end

Would a blue light make you feel more important or something ?

Simon

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Jakes Dad said:
But why would you want a Blue light ?

If you fit something like a Cateye LD1100 or Smart 1/2 watt you dont need anything else on the back .. they blind car drivers so they stay well off your rear end

Would a blue light make you feel more important or something ?

Simon
Why would I want a blue light ? I don't, I am quite happy with my present setup but others feel that they are invisible even if lit up like one of Blackpool's illuminated trams!
"... they blind car drivers..." If they do then, please, adjust them.

Top Bottom