Dont use blue lights, you aint a copper!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

139NI

thegrumpybiker said:
Let's get real. One small eye-catching constant blue light surrounded by much brighter reds, which is my intended set-up, is highly unlikely to be mistaken for someone riding in the opposite direction I think. Or even as an emergency vehicle.

My friend..... get a green one or any colour except blue...please??

Blue is reserved for police, ambulance, fire........et al. Thats the way the general public expect it - its a convention that shouldn't be crossed.

if you want to stand out in the crowd [and i understand you are trying to keep from harm - i also note you are placing the blue light at the rear] practice riding in a way which stands you out and asserts your position on the road.. At night, you will cause confusion cos peoples perception of depth and distance diminishes - they will expect you to be oncoming whereas you are actually moving away when you are seen.

Like i mentioned earlier, what if we cyclists [and then cars, SUVs] and everybody decided to use a blue light somewhere on their vehicle?

in any case, you'll look silly, particularly if a motorist gets annoyed after they suss you out and decide to give you a close drive by after you have kept them following you in fear that you are police?

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
139NI said:
My friend..... get a green one or any colour except blue...please??
Please see previous few posts - green - reserved for doctors.

Debian

Kaipaith said:
Would you really though... and if you genuinely would (a blind est would be ideal, but I guess we can trust your word ;)) what about everyone else?

If I saw, say, a green light (but obviously not a traffic light) I think I probably would think "WTF?" for a moment before slowing down.

I agree with Kaipath.

Why do people feel the need to have other than red lights at the rear anyway? I've only ever used one or maybe two decent red rear lights for years almost beyond count and I've never had a problem with any other road user not seeing me.

So why the need in some peoples minds?

Im not into this blue light on the rear lark so if I am that paranoid about if I can be seen I have 4 lights on my bag and one on my bike.Im sure that does as good a job.

Even had a cyclist remark on it last week.

Debian said:
That's very condescending.

Debating the legality / /efficacy / practicality of something is OTT suddenly? :rofl:

It's BM he's our form tutor.:rofl:

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
mr_hippo said:
Sorry but green lights are used by doctors on emergency calls - very rarely seen.

Have just checked the legislation and it only says its "allowed" nothing about being reserved.

I've never actually seen one in use around here tbh :rofl: There was a case a few years back where a doctor or paramedic on a motorcycle was told he was not allowed to exceed the speed limit even though he was using a green light. I beleive it ended up in court for some reason...

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Jakes Dad said:
Ambulance driver is prosecuted for speeding

The above link is the Ambulance driver that Lincolnshire Police charged with speeding whilst delivering a Liver for a transplant operation, he was in an official car with blue lights and siren

Its no wonder that the police in the UK are on the whole disliked and not trusted

Simon

Not the Police. The speed camera results are the responsibility of the Safety Camera Partnership and go directly too the CPS..
The charge was dropped and this happened in 2003

Besides it's completely off topic and nothing to do with using blue lights on your bike!

Vikeonabike said:
Besides it's completely off topic and nothing to do with using blue lights on your bike!

It was in response to Downfaders comment about a paramedic being prosecuted :smile: Are we still discussing blue lights ? or have we now moved onto green ?

Simon

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It's not the commenting on legality/whatever that's the problem, it's the ridiculous amount of hyperbole and "you are an ax-murderer if you use blue lights" type of comments that are so way over the top.

thomas

the tank engine
Jakes Dad said:
It was in response to Downfaders comment about a paramedic being prosecuted :biggrin: Are we still discussing blue lights ? or have we now moved onto green ?

Nah, I think we're onto lights which flash every colour of the rainbow now while playing RESPECT. :biggrin:

classic33

Leg End Member
Question.
If people are against others using flashing blue light on the grounds that they could cause confusion, leading othes on the road to think you may be one of the emergency services. How do they feel about people confusing their flasing red lights for a Highways Agency vehicle? After all they use flashing red lights on some of their vehicles.

Taken from
http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/information/bluelightuse.htm#Blue_Light_Exemptions

"All lights should be of British Standard

All lights for normal night driving should be switched on by one switch (including headlights, side markers and rear registration lights).

To use a vehicle that that doesn’t go above 25 mph on a normal dual carriageway you need to fit an amber flashing light.
"

Where does that leave us cyclists. Anyone go that fast all the time

classic33 said:
How do they feel about people confusing their flasing red lights for a Highways Agency vehicle? After all they use flashing red lights on some of their vehicles.

To use a vehicle that that doesn’t go above 25 mph on a normal dual carriageway you need to fit an amber flashing light. [/B][/I]"

Where does that leave us cyclists. Anyone go that fast all the time

The police also have 2 flashing red lights on their roof mounted light bars for when they are at an incident on the Highways

As for the amber lights for vehicles travelling at under 25mph ... this'l be for motorised vehicles like agricultural tractors etc etc

(its all getting abit anal now is'nt it)

Simon

classic33

Leg End Member
Jakes Dad said:
The police also have 2 flashing red lights on their roof mounted light bars for when they are at an incident on the Highways

As for the amber lights for vehicles travelling at under 25mph ... this'l be for motorised vehicles like agricultural tractors etc etc

[I](its all getting abit anal now is'nt it)[/I]

Simon

Not just for tractors, but all vehicles. How many tactors can't go faster than 25mph?

Your right on the last part though.

Debian

classic33 said:
Question.
If people are against others using flashing blue light on the grounds that they could cause confusion, leading othes on the road to think you may be one of the emergency services. How do they feel about people confusing their flasing red lights for a Highways Agency vehicle? After all they use flashing red lights on some of their vehicles.

You can’t have a flashing light except for
:

indicators

headlights on an emergency vehicle

flashing lights as described above (on emergency vehicles and vehicles permitted to show other coloured flashing lights)

a light or sign on a vehicle used for police purposes

a green light used as an anti-lock braking indicator

lights on a traffic sign attached to a vehicle

flashing white lights on the front of a cycle

flashing red lights on the back of a cycle

Top Bottom