Dont use blue lights, you aint a copper!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Debian

thegrumpybiker said:
I've ordered myself a blue LED. My intention is to have it mounted on the rear, in constant NOT flashing mode, along with a constant AND flashing red. My thinking being this; the constant blue will add a "stand out from the crowd" factor. Car drivers in front won't see any blue, flashing or otherwise in their mirrors and pull over/brake suddenly.
If I'm still breaking the letter of the law I couldn't care less.

Well you should care! This is just a stupid and crass attitude that helps to give all cyclists a bad name ;)

numbnuts said:
I don't like to be called names :laugh: and what the **** has it got to do with you what people use on their bikes

It has everything to do with other cyclists because one idiot abusing the rules adds to the opinion that all cyclists are law breaking idiots! :biggrin:

GrasB said:
Sorry for having a strong opinion but I'm not name calling I'm saying what I feel the use of blue lights on the UK roads is. I apply this not only to cyclists but also lorry drivers & people who are using blue lights on other vehicles too that aren't EMS vehicles. What has it to do with me? I use the roads so I may well have to deal with the fall out, that's what.
IMHO blue lights are for EMS vehicles only & not for use by the general public. That is the way it should be.

I totally agree with GrasB's comment.

thegrumpybiker

Let's get real. One small eye-catching constant blue light surrounded by much brighter reds, which is my intended set-up, is highly unlikely to be mistaken for someone riding in the opposite direction I think. Or even as an emergency vehicle.

Debian

thegrumpybiker said:
Let's get real. One small eye-catching constant blue light surrounded by much brighter reds, which is my intended set-up, is highly unlikely to be mistaken for someone riding in the opposite direction I think. Or even as an emergency vehicle.

Maybe, but the fact is that blue lights are only legal for use by the emergency services and your "couldn't care" attitude does no one any favours.

Keep it legal and reasonable.

Bman

Guru
thegrumpybiker said:
It could do me a favour if it made the difference between being seen and safe or being a twisted heap of metal and broken flesh.

That sounds a bit like the mentality of 4x4 mums....

thomas

the tank engine
Debian said:
Well you should care! This is just a stupid and crass attitude that helps to give all cyclists a bad name xx(

No it doesn't. I've seen cars with blue lights on and I don't think that it gives a bad name to every motorist. The sort of people who can't distinguish probably already hate every cyclist anyway.

Make the roads safer for cyclists and people won't do silly things like have blue lights. It'd also solve problems like cycling on the pavements.

thegrumpybiker said:
If I'm still breaking the letter of the law I couldn't care less.

Yes I can see there are quite a few of you out there who couldn't care less.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Ten pages on a blue light xx( the proof of the pudding will be if someone gets pulled by Mr Plod and seeing that I have mine for over two years now without one incident says a lot either Mr Plod doesn’t care or I’ve been very lucky, I do have a red B.S light on my rear rack and another red flashing light on my camelbak, so well covered. As a matter of fact I bought the blue light from Argos sold as rear light for cyclists.

Norm

Bongman said:
That sounds a bit like the mentality of 4x4 mums....
I would say +1 but I'll just repeat what I have already written in this thread

Norm said:
I view looking like a police vehicle as being just as incredibly selfish as those who buy a large heavy car because it's safer.

"I'm all right, Jack, pull up the ladder..."

numbnuts said:
Ten pages on a blue light xx( the proof of the pudding will be if someone gets pulled by Mr Plod and seeing that I have mine for over two years now without one incident says a lot either Mr Plod doesn’t care or I’ve been very lucky, I do have a red B.S light on my rear rack and another red flashing light on my camelbak, so well covered. As a matter of fact I bought the blue light from Argos sold as rear light for cyclists.

Haven't read the thread but I can't see why you would want a blue light when a red is sufficent.

If that's what rocks your boat then fine.Doesn't bother me really.

thomas

the tank engine
hackbike 666 said:
Haven't read the thread but I can't see why you would want a blue light when a red is sufficent.

A green light would probably be more useful, as I think it's the colour that humans can see the easiest......that could be complete rubbish though xx(

thomas said:
A green light would probably be more useful, as I think it's the colour that humans can see the easiest......that could be complete rubbish though :biggrin:

Brighter colour innit.They have them in railway signals.

l33rec

Vikeonabike said:
Actualy PCSO' and Highway Agency officers are legislated to use Emergency lights.
l33rec, all though it's not legal for you to use flashing red and amber....if you were recovering a vehicle on a busy road I would be inclined to ignore that particular breach in favour of common sense and safety..the droids may not.

"Flashing" Blue Lights however are illegal as are Solid Blue to the rear!
Don't do it.....

Actually it is legal for me to use alernating reds at " scene of incident or accident " however their use whilst moving is prohibited and any way the comment was made tongue in cheek in an attempt to add some humour to the thread am sure both pcso and h a officers do some good if only some relief on the public coffers as theyre cheaper than the real deal !!

Anyway this is a cycle forum so lets stay on track!!

Top Bottom