Don't wave at me then (Twice)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
Motorists used to wave to each other until there became too many. More recently, Alfa Romeo drivers used to wave at each other - that stopped when the 156 and 147 sold well and meeting another became more common.
it is still law for land rover drivers to wave to each other, anyone driving a real land rover (not discovery mk3 onwards or range rover) from 1948-current day have to wave to each other. in fact even though i don't even own a land rover yet but still love them and dressed up in school uniform on foot i get a wave back from pretty much all land rover drivers i wave to, not so for other cars :smile:

and for the OP, i wave at all cyclists apart from the yoof in hoodies and a swag cap or anyone else on a BSO and weather or not they wave back to me i don't really care.
one thing i do care about is when i have pulled over, off the road, and stopped for a car in a small lane and they just drive on with out nodding, waving, flashing lights, tooting horn etc i get rather peed off and make sure i never pull over for them again and stop them from overtaking until safe to do so
Cheers Ed

I like to rub noses with other cyclists.

Tomorrow, the arbitrary social standard I have chosen to be the only acceptable greeting will be a snog and a cheeky grope.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
I know, it's barely 2 of 3 gropes a ride now. Some cyclists are a right miserable bunch.

Yeah, but car drivers don't really help the situation...forever moaning on about how we shouldn't be groping and holding up the traffic, incorrectly quoting the highway code, honking their horns in an obviously jealous manner, while they sit there gawping in their gropeless deathtraps...it's enough to put a man off the odd grope and I can quote all the Glenn Forger I like, but ultimately, Drago will always be right when he says that arguing back won't help the situation and that sticking up for your rights will only end up with a night in a cell with Bubba...dear, dear Bubba...the man hath overgroped, I fear. :cry:

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
I'm happy to smile or say hello if spoken to or even all little chat at traffic lights. I can't stand the odd person who wants to ride alongside and talk at length about how fantastic we all are taking to our bikes.
I hate people :smile:

MarkF

Guru
I don't want to be waved at, leave me alone, it's not just "me and you", our gang, there are millions of cyclists out there. :sad:

I do like to make eye contact though, then look away quickly as I am waved at.

winjim

Smash the cistern
:hello:

ultimately, Drago will always be right when he says that arguing back won't help the situation

He went a bit further and said that only cyclists who get lippy get attacked, which is nasty, victim-blaming lies. The rest I agree with, letting idiots get to you is letting them live in your head rent-free.

snorri

Legendary Member
one thing i do care about is when i have pulled over, off the road, and stopped for a car in a small lane and they just drive on with out nodding, waving, flashing lights, tooting horn etc i get rather peed off and make sure i never pull over for them again and stop them from overtaking until safe to do so
Spot on Young Ed, I always have my Magnum Spike ready for instant deployment on single track roads, they don't like it up 'em:thumbsup:.
http://www.magnumspike.co.uk/product-comparisons.html

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 3492445, member: 9609"]I happen to live in an area where there is precious few cyclists so acknowledging each other is quite the norm - oddly whilst driving I sometimes forget i'm not on the bike and still do my little wave acknwledgement thing when i pass a cyclist, you then see them sort of twist round and stare up at me as much as wtf are you, lol[/QUOTE]
BTDT and I got a nod in return! Surprised my passenger... and no, I didn't know the rider: I was a long way from home (there are many cyclists here), which is part of why I was in a car.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Manners cost nothing.
^^^ This. Ignoring the rights and wrongs of acknowledging fellow cyclists, surely if someone DOES acknowledge you then it is only good manners to return it?
Take it away from cycling - if you were walking out in the middle of nowhere and met someone who said hello, would you just walk past that person and ignore them?

I no longer acknowledge other cyclists, as I got fed up with being ignored. But if someone else initiates the acknowledgement thing, I will always return it.

Top Bottom