Don't you love those awkward moments when...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tetedelacourse said:
Kirstie I suggest you stop wearing your tanktop with "Kirstie" on the front.

I have a slightly different problem; I generally remember who people are but not their names. I've realised I can get away with it one-to-one but when I'm with someone else and am expected to introduce them I am found out. Thinking about it, keep wearing that tanktop and I'll ask Arch to knit one for the rest of us (with our own names on, as an army of tanktopped Kirsties would be creepy as hell).

;) people would keeping getting that thing where if you look at a word for too long it no longer looks like that word but a weird and random collection of unconnected letters...

Lots of people seem to know who I am and I've met lots of people at events but I sometimes can't remember who the hell they are.

One guy started talking to me and realised I'd no idea who he was, so he said

"oh, we spoke on the phone...must be 18 months ago"

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Unfortunately it happens to me all the time.
In my line of work I get to meet a whole stack of people over the year. Especially at working conventions. I am so crap with faces and names and always get people coming up to me and saying "Hi Ian, how's things etc". I then have to either engage in some weird conversation trying to place them & remember who they are. I try to look at their name badge (usual m.o. is to look at the badge asking, still the same pic as last year I see), or if that fails.... run off

sheddy

Legendary Member
Kirstie said:
...you have a chat with someone and you haven't got a CLUE who they are? I hate it! I was just up in the cafe getting my lunch and the bloke in front of me in the queue 'Hi Kirstie, how are you?'. Oh no, who TF is it? Didn't have his work ID badge on either so I couldn't even catch a glimpse of it to work it out. He managed to tell me what he was working on, how it was going, how long he's got till his hols, where he's going, who he's going with...I am still completely in the dark. No idea...I don't believe I have ever met him before...
Mebbe a one night stand ?

Night Train

Maker of Things
This happens to me a lot. I am on the Autistic spectrum and I find it really difficult 'seeing' faces. I recognise people mainly by what they wear and the circumstances of knowing them. This means work people are complete strangers outside of work. I once walked right past my girlfriend as she was trying to direct me by phone to where she was standing waiting for me. The conversation on the mobiles was like:
Me: Ok, I'm at the crossing.
GF: Cross over and turn right and walk towards me.
Me: Right crossed over now, turned right and walking.
GF: Now stop and turn round, I'm behind you.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I do it all the time - being fairly new at work (OK since October) folk let on to me, know my name, but I haven't got a clue who they are......

I have a terrible memory for names/faces.........so you are not alone !

sheddy said:
Mebbe a one night stand ?

At my age and status, most unlikely. I think the last time I had one of those I was at university! That was a looooong time ago.

yenrod

Kirstie said:
...you have a chat with someone and you haven't got a CLUE who they are? I hate it! I was just up in the cafe getting my lunch and the bloke in front of me in the queue 'Hi Kirstie, how are you?'. Oh no, who TF is it? Didn't have his work ID badge on either so I couldn't even catch a glimpse of it to work it out. He managed to tell me what he was working on, how it was going, how long he's got till his hols, where he's going, who he's going with...I am still completely in the dark. No idea...I don't believe I have ever met him before...

So you paid for your stuff and left, he was still talking about himself :wacko:

yenrod

Kirstie said:

So you paid for your stuff and left, he was still talking about himself :biggrin:

Kirstie said:
At my age and status, most unlikely. I think the last time I had one of those I was at university! That was a looooong time ago.

You dont come across as 'an owld slapper' Kirst luv :wacko:

gbb

Legendary Member
Thankfully, it's only happened to me once...er maybe twice :wacko:

First time a guy approached me, greeted me by name, shook hands and talked animatedly and happily about how things were..etc etc etc.
I smiled, laughed, chatted with him for maybe 5 minutes....still dont have a clue who he was 10 years later :biggrin:

Second time i was at a bar ordering drinks, in a slightly dodgy pub. Guy approached me and started talking like he knew me....errrr, was it Salvesens you worked at..i asked.
Yes...and he chatted away while i got my drinks.

Still dont know who he was...but i suspect he may have been hankering after a free drink.

Top Bottom