Door-to-door salesman repellent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think notices like that are a good idea - I've had work done after someone knocked at my door and then regretted it - so I now have a principle of I won't buy anything from someone knocking at the door - whether I want it or not. Now if I've been that gullible whilst I'm still young (ish) and with full factuality's (well I'm claiming that anyway), then I do worry what I would be like in 30 years time. I think people should respect those sort of notices and that they could help to protect someone more vulnerable.

At the end of the day, all you people saying that notices like this are just people being up themselves. Do people not have the right to some peace and quiet and privacy in their own home?

I know that if I'd just got in from work, sat down with the wife I want to stay sat down with the exception of making a trip to the fridge and back, I don't want to spend that time declining windows for a house that clearly has windows.

longers

Legendary Member
The other thing we do occasionally is reply to junk mail...... by stuffing other junk mail in the envelope.

If there's a return address I always put "Not known at this address, Please return to sender" and stick it back in the post. They have to pay for that again don't they?

I have tried putting helpful messages on the front of the ones from Virgin Media as well but they've not got the hint yet.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think notices like that are a good idea - I've had work done after someone knocked at my door and then regretted it - so I now have a principle of I won't buy anything from someone knocking at the door - whether I want it or not. Now if I've been that gullible whilst I'm still young (ish) and with full factuality's (well I'm claiming that anyway), then I do worry what I would be like in 30 years time. I think people should respect those sort of notices and that they could help to protect someone more vulnerable.

I think local police forces sometimes have campaigns where they give notices like that out to anyone who wants one, good idea too.

If there's a return address I always put "Not known at this address, Please return to sender" and stick it back in the post. They have to pay for that again don't they?

I have tried putting helpful messages on the front of the ones from Virgin Media as well but they've not got the hint yet.

I got rid of virgin media for a year, I wrote "never again thank you" on the envelope and posted it, we normally got one a month, we got a year without

guessing they're sending them now incase we've moved out.

Not sure if "not known at this address" causes the company to be charged, the guarantee the Royal Mail normally gave (with buying the stamp etc) when first set up was that it would be delivered or returned to you.

If you want to cost them money, a brick in a box and then tape the addressed reply envelope to the outside of the box, Royal Mail have to take it because it is addressed and postage to be billed for.

I like the ones with "affix stamp here" i do fill those with junk mail and post them, without a stamp.

PBancroft

But I'm not the one putting up little signs that basically says 'Meeehhhh!!! I don't like you, go away'. :tongue:

Personally, I reserve the right to not like someone who interrupts my evening meal with an attempt to sell a product/service/religion I don't want and quite frankly do want them to go away.

Plax

Guru
I'm ex-directory, with a withheld number and registered with the TPS.
I very rarely get unwelcome calls now. As I have caller display I just don't answer the phone if I don't recognise the number.
Usually I don't bother answering the home phone full stop. If it rings and I'm doing something (e.g. eating tea) I just ignore it. It's amazing how many people just can't do that.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
TPS works for me. As for callers at the door - they're usually nice people, and there's no harm in answering the door - it might be a neighbour asking to borrow the electric drill.

Now where is that damn drill..........?

TPS works for me. As for callers at the door - they're usually nice people, and there's no harm in answering the door - it might be a neighbour asking to borrow the electric drill.

Now where is that damn drill..........?

If you were my dad that question would be followed by "is it in coventry or basingstoke" (where I and my brother live) as we have a habit of garage raiding while visiting home :smile:

Top Bottom