Doping git thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

Yeah, me too! Maybe @DP will do one?
I love the way Michael Boogerd's wife defends him like a Tory politician's wife despite all evidence to the contrary.

It's an odd title. "Mijn Gevecht" is the Dutch equivalent of "Mein Kampf".

Reactions: mjr

oldroadman

Veteran
It's an odd title. "Mijn Gevecht" is the Dutch equivalent of "Mein Kampf".
Which translates in "My Struggle". Somewhat assisted it appears.

La Gazzetta reporting that Stefano Cecchini, son of the infamous doping doctor, and who seems to be a bit of a hit on the Gran Fondo circuit (no testing as far as I can make out) may get a pro contract next year for the first time.

He's 38.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A couple of good reads from cyclingtips: Phil Gaimon hunting down some strava KOMs which seem to have been set by a banned rider (who makes eye-wateringly expensive cycling clothing)

https://cyclingtips.com/2016/12/gaimon-begins-retirement-by-hunting-banned-riders-strava-koms/

https://cyclingtips.com/2016/03/who...sterious-case-of-a-los-angeles-strava-legend/

http://brandt-sorenson.com/
That's weird. Well, it's weird to me at least, but the Strava universe is not one that I'm immersed in.

To sum up: A doper has set some KOM times. And Phil Gaimon rides into town, wearing a white hat, as a recently retired pro he's the both good enough and with enough spare time to beat these times, which he then does, in order punch the doper on the nose.

My thoughts on the weirdness of this are probably for another thread, but thanks for posting.

Gaimon is a bell-end*

The other bloke is a sad tosser.

*I think being a bell-end is a pre-requisite for joining, staying with or retiring from Cannondale-Drapac, they are seriously getting on my tits

Last edited:
La Gazzetta reporting that Stefano Cecchini, son of the infamous doping doctor, and who seems to be a bit of a hit on the Gran Fondo circuit (no testing as far as I can make out) may get a pro contract next year for the first time.

He's 38.
Update from velorooms forum:
http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=7607.msg2223006#msg2223006

DRM

Guru
http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/ne...star__39_s_Everest_efforts_to_be_shown_on_TV/
I caught about half of this programme this morning, basically former Welsh rugby international Richard Parks was intending to climb Everest without oxygen, in order to scientifically see the effect of reduced oxygen on the brain, with a view to seeing if this has any links to alzheimers, however after training & acclimatising to Everest he started the climb up to camp 1 from base camp, whilst there a doctor checked his blood, the doctor told him that his blood was too thick with red blood cells due to altitude, fittness level & a natural ability to produce red blood cells,and he had to go back to base camp as there was a real risk of a stroke or heart attack, or even death, sadly they didn't quote what his haematocrit % was but the blood sample was literally the consistency of runny honey, it was unbelievable the effect on his blood, having seen it on TV it made me wonder why on earth would you dope yourself with EPO and risk your health with blood like that, it's only when you see it for real do you realise why perfectly healthy cyclists have died because of EPO.

Landis in l'Equipe:
"Ferrari was the best and the smartest, he had connections everywhere, even a friend at Madrid's lab, maybe Sky has someone even better, but I'm sure you won't write that down"..

oldroadman

Veteran
Landis in l'Equipe:
"Ferrari was the best and the smartest, he had connections everywhere, even a friend at Madrid's lab, maybe Sky has someone even better, but I'm sure you won't write that down"..
Says a proven cheat and liar who even had the audacity to run a "fairness fund" knowing he was a doper. L'Equipe may print it, sometimes it seems like anyone French getting beaten must mean that they are doing something "abnormal". Like "magic wheels"...which were actually Mavic wheels, round ones at that, kept in covers to stay nice and clean! Shocking and clearly cheating the French riders from their entitled place on top of the podium.

Reactions: DRM

DRM

Guru
Says a proven cheat and liar who even had the audacity to run a "fairness fund" knowing he was a doper. L'Equipe may print it, sometimes it seems like anyone French getting beaten must mean that they are doing something "abnormal". Like "magic wheels"...which were actually Mavic wheels, round ones at that, kept in covers to stay nice and clean! Shocking and clearly cheating the French riders from their entitled place on top of the podium.
LOL, they don't like it up 'em, Unfortunately for the french, other countries that aren't traditional cycling countries have caught up and overtaken them, in as much as the U.K is at the heart of this, there will be another nation somewhere in the world, who when they get the right funding will come along and kick our backsides, it's just that French can't accept that it''s our turn at the top of their race.
I wonder where that talent will come from, I think it could be an African country.

oldroadman

Veteran
LOL, they don't like it up 'em, Unfortunately for the french, other countries that aren't traditional cycling countries have caught up and overtaken them, in as much as the U.K is at the heart of this, there will be another nation somewhere in the world, who when they get the right funding will come along and kick our backsides, it's just that French can't accept that it''s our turn at the top of their race.
I wonder where that talent will come from, I think it could be an African country.

I think you may be right with the last sentence. What these countries would need is the race opportunities, right finance and development and quality coaches. Considering the success of African endurance athletes it's a logical step that there must some exceptional talent around, especially in stage races with lots of climbing. The general spare build seems ideally suited to this type of race, provided the recovery is there as well. Great for the sport too getting fresh and challenging riders coming in. But then again China could be a force to be reckoned with in a decade or two. UCI are not completely daft and I can't think it's only about money (though that helps!).

Top Bottom