Doping git thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm going to grass up @Crackle and his dodgy breathing medication
I've got a TUE. I thought everyone had one.

oldroadman

Veteran
As a BC member the "knock on the door" is highly improbable unless you are on the ADAMS system. Testing outside of that group of elite people is usually at races. But in the case of the person with EPO, intelligence and leads from customs seem to have precipitated the UKAD testing - this is not done by BC (test appears to have been refused = non-negative finding = 4 year ban from all competitive sport).

Buddfox

Veteran
Forgive my ignorance but the article posted above doesn't say if he had a race membership or a normal membership, just that he was a member of BC and therefore subject to doping tests. To me that implies anyone who is a member of BC could get a knock on the door.

In theory, yes. It's the first thing in BC's terms and conditions, that you are subject to British Cycling's Anti Doping Policies. But I don't imagine it's likely, unless you happen to be importing EPO and refusing to give a sample...

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/staticcontent/Terms-and-Conditions-0

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
In theory, yes. It's the first thing in BC's terms and conditions, that you are subject to British Cycling's Anti Doping Policies. But I don't imagine it's likely, unless you happen to be importing EPO and refusing to give a sample...

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/staticcontent/Terms-and-Conditions-0
I see that the adherence to the Anti Doping Policies is "Race members only". BC "ride" membership holders are not "Athletes" for the purposes of UKAD's rules, are they?

Buddfox

Veteran
I see that the adherence to the Anti Doping Policies is "Race members only". BC "ride" membership holders are not "Athletes" for the purposes of UKAD's rules, are they?

It's not, I don't think, the only thing that applies to race members and no-one else is the UCI registration. I think it is confusingly laid out, as that was my first conclusion. But I can only find one set of terms and conditions, which include the references to UK Anti Doping, and those T&Cs apply to all categories of membership.

oldroadman

Veteran
Cycling Weekly with sparkling accuracy has noted that the gentleman will face a two year ban. Er, it's four years off now....something I'm quite happy about.
My error, the Gallego report is old news, 9 months ago! So two years was right then. Before WADA got serious. Some of the comments about labs following the article are either made by apologists or nitwits. Anyone who has visited an accredited lab will be aware just how tightly controlled conditions and samples are.

SWSteve

Guru
Beltran arrested for his part in doping athletes, and there is mention of him having worked as a "horse doctor" in Bahrain - according to The Inner Ring (on twitter) it turns out that the head of the Bahraini royal stables was Nasser bin Hamad, the man behind Team Torture-Merida.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/06/news/colombia-arrests-alleged-doping-doctor_409716

What could possibly go wrong?

Are you suggesting medicines used in horses may be applied to athletes? Hasn't this happened before?

Top Bottom