Doping git thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Amateur cyclist who has never raced banned from doing something he has never done.
http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-...ho-never-raced-gets-doping-ban-of-four-years/

That'll send out a clear message about "significant threat" to clean sport and public health...

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Perhaps we all need to give up our BC memberships?
I'd advocate that for other reasons (including that introduction of "ride" membership doesn't appear to have been accompanied by doing much else to reduce discrimination against disabled people, or as one of their leading lights allegedly called them "wobblies and gimps"), but you could just downgrade from "race" to "ride" if you don't race.

I'd advocate that for other reasons (including that introduction of "ride" membership doesn't appear to have been accompanied by doing much else to reduce discrimination against disabled people, or as one of their leading lights allegedly called them "wobblies and gimps"), but you could just downgrade from "race" to "ride" if you don't race.
I dinnae even ride anymore.

:laugh:

So this was the story I linked to in post #1332...
So it was.

oldroadman

Veteran
I think that this was UKAD acting having been working with other agencies as the bloke was importing amounts of EPO and other stuff bought over the internet. he's actually broken the law I think by having controlled prescription drugs without a prescription. UKAD does all the anti-doping cases in cycling, not BC, and so when they sanction a member, BC have to follow it up if the member holds a race licence/membership. Easy to say "nah nah" to BC but we should probably be pleased that they are carrying out their responsibilities correctly. I'm sure most people would prefer a race member got suspended even if they say they don't race than get beaten in competition by an undetected and unsanctioned cheat.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Easy to say "nah nah" to BC but we should probably be pleased that they are carrying out their responsibilities correctly. I'm sure most people would prefer a race member got suspended even if they say they don't race than get beaten in competition by an undetected and unsanctioned cheat.
Well, yes, but I do wonder how many people pay for race membership without thinking that their prescription meds mean they're doping in a strict sense, never mind illegal imports.

If UKAD had enough money, it could probably make quite horrible headlines about the % of BC racing licence holders that dope. Start by targetting those with breathing ailments (3.2 million of the UK population with asthma IIRC, 0.8m with COPD, ...) who take something other than salbutamol, plus anyone taking a cold decongestant. See how many that nets, then move on to other common "banned" medications.

oldroadman

Veteran
There is nothing to stop anyone with race membership applying for a TUE. Though it's those that race who would benefit most.
It seems this latest sanction happened because police/customs detected something and involved UKAD as well. The person concerned had committed an offence anyway, so if a ban is all he gets might consider himself lucky. If he does not compete then nothing to say you can't still ride about.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Forgive my ignorance but the article posted above doesn't say if he had a race membership or a normal membership, just that he was a member of BC and therefore subject to doping tests. To me that implies anyone who is a member of BC could get a knock on the door.

Top Bottom