Doping git thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SWSteve

Guru
It's simply a club of certain pro teams using it as a PR exercise - "oh look at us we are all ever so clean". So that's all right then. They have no mandate except their own and don't seem to have managed to influence WADA, so what's the point?
The rules are what they are, Tramadol and Corticosteroids are on a WADA "watch list", which possibly means they are gathering test data before coming to an evidence based conclusion. Let's hope they reach the right one, although remember WADA is across all sports and some have more reason than others not to want both substances put on the banned list.
Anyone for tennis/footy/rugby/track&field?

This is odd, how different sports have different rulings on different drugs, despite WADA being for all sports - as raised by Dan Carter's use of corticosteroids

In cycling they have a different rule regarding injections, which says that after an injection you have to rest eight days before a competition. Do you think it would be a good rule to apply in rugby, would it be safer for the players ?

I don’t know enough about corticosteroids to comment. I don’t know why they have eight and in rugby it’s two or three, I don’t know.

En savoir plus sur http://www.lemonde.fr/rugby/article...tion_5016194_1616937.html#WP76WEEtwpY70ars.99

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This is odd, how different sports have different rulings on different drugs, despite WADA being for all sports - as raised by Dan Carter's use of corticosteroids

"...In cycling they have a different rule regarding injections, which says that after an injection you have to rest eight days before a competition...."
I think the "different rule" that is referred to there is an MPCC rule rather than a rule enforced for all of cycling. And as such it has no-one really enforcing it as we saw with Lars Boom and Astana, when push came to shove Vino just ignored the rule (and Astana got booted out of the MPCC, without any dreadful consequences for them, in fact with almost no consequence at all).

[Edit. The Lars Boom case was about low cortisol levels - MPCC rule 5, not direct use of corticosteroids, rule 6, which in any case only refers to intra-articular injections. So if you want to be pedantic about it, my post above is waffly rubbish. Get over it pedants.]

Last edited:

SWSteve

Guru
I think the "different rule" that is referred to there is an MPCC rule rather than a rule enforced for all of cycling. And as such it has no-one really enforcing it as we saw with Lars Boom and Astana, when push came to shove Vino just ignored the rule (and Astana got booted out of the MPCC, without any dreadful consequences for them, in fact with almost no consequence at all).

[Edit. The Lars Boom case was about low cortisol levels - MPCC rule 5, not direct use of corticosteroids, rule 6, which in any case only refers to intra-articular injections. So if you want to be pedantic about it, my post above is waffly rubbish. Get over it pedants.]

Ahh that would explain a lot - seen as the MPCC seems to contain all the 'big' french teams

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ahh that would explain a lot - seen as the MPCC seems to contain all the 'big' french teams
MPCC's main strength is ASO's support, which has limited power over World Tour teams who ASO can't easily exclude from their flagship events. I feel this is an interesting element of the ASO-UCI-RCS tug o' war and a big reason why ASO want the number of WT teams reduced, plus it must put Vaughters in a conflicted position, as someone who seems to support MPCC but also wants WT to become a US-style closed shop of near-untouchable franchisees.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The mind boggles at his stupidity. self-gratification artist.
My mind doesn't boggle at all.

Some people take amateur sport very seriously indeed. They make huge sacrifices of time, they spend all their available cash (and probably some unavailable cash) on super duper kit. Why should the attitude to doping not trickle down from the pro level? By not boggling I'm not saying I approve just that it's not terribly surprising.

"The anti-doping body then, after being handed information from an unnamed source, carried out further tests on the sample"

That it took a tip-off to trigger EPO tests (If I've understood correctly) suggests that the testing protocols are less stringent, which may affect a would-be doper's risk/benefit assessment.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Some people take amateur sport very seriously indeed. They make huge sacrifices of time, they spend all their available cash (and probably some unavailable cash) on super duper kit. Why should the attitude to doping not trickle down from the pro level? By not boggling I'm not saying I approve just that it's not terribly surprising.
Amen. Anyone else think the comments about doping by the Transcontinental Race's organiser on http://thebikeshow.net/transcontinental-race-wrap-up/ (basically, improved athletic performance wouldn't help win :eek:) are a bit worrying?

Top Bottom