Doping git thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Don't know if we can read anything into this but as someone pointed out on twitter yesterday, Dumoulin is the first GT winner on an MPCC team.

ETA: or maybe not - first MPCC team winner since Nibali won the Tour in 2014, not long before Astana were kicked out. Hmmm.

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Why wouldn't teams join the MPCC?

Look at it another way: why would they?

If a club to promote clean cycling allows a team to join even while it's being run by an unapologetic doper and under threat of losing its UCI licence due to doping violations, what does that say about the club's 'credibility'?

To be fair, though, I do see Dumoulin's victory as a positive sign for the credibility of the sport. He is, as far as I know, entirely untainted by suspicion.

Too Tyred

Look at it another way: why would they?

If a club to promote clean cycling allows a team to join even while it's being run by an unapologetic doper and under threat of losing its UCI licence due to doping violations, what does that say about the club's 'credibility'?

To be fair, though, I do see Dumoulin's victory as a positive sign for the credibility of the sport. He is, as far as I know, entirely untainted by suspicion.

I had no idea about the team with the doping boss (which one?). Clearly something like that is going to raise suspicion - you're quite right there. From the outside it looks like a shining light of purity and to not join begs the question 'what are you hiding?'

I agree with Dumoulin's win, very positive to see a new young rider entirely without suspicion. I think the way he won it too raises no doubt - winning big on the TT which everyone knows he's good at then using that TT technique up the climbs. Plus the fact that for large parts he looked to struggle that always helps, getting dropped and such. He wasn't riding away from everyone with a smile and a wave.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I had no idea about the team with the doping boss (which one?).

Astana & Vinokourov

From the outside it looks like a shining light of purity and to not join begs the question 'what are you hiding?'

Shining light of purity? Pffft. AG2R is one of the founder members of the MPCC and team boss Vincent Lavenu has always been vocally anti-doping... and yet several of his team members have been banned for doping offences.

The MPCC was also rather slow to recognise that having Katusha, Lampre and Astana as members wasn't doing much for its credibility.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mpc...lampre-merida-only-joined-out-of-opportunism/

Anyway, all that aside, Dumoulin looks like a clean rider and his win is cause for optimism.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Shining light of purity?
Shades of Jonathan Aitken! :smile:

Top Bottom