Doping git thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
It makes sense to have some lead time as I can imagine there's a lot of stuff needs to be determined by the organisers pre race.

I would imagine it matters more to the teams, who have to organise travel for riders, as well as getting all their kit and bikes to the race.

From the organisers' point of view, as long as the riders are properly registered, it probably doesn't matter too much to them who the team sends.

When does the start list become 'official'? I thought it wasn't until they turned up and signed on at the start of the race. So any team is free to make changes to their announced line-up, for any reason, right up to that point.

In that case, the news broke just after the team presentation - uncanny timing!

Interestingly, it's the same product that Pirazzi and Ruffoni tested positive for - one that they've only recently developed a test for...

I always thought the team presentation and team signing on were not the same thing - maybe they are. But I have never seen any riders "sign on" at a presentation although have seen "signing on" just before a stage.

In that case, the news broke just after the team presentation - uncanny timing!

Interestingly, it's the same product that Pirazzi and Ruffoni tested positive for - one that they've only recently developed a test for...

I always thought the team presentation and team signing on were not the same thing - maybe they are. But I have never seen any riders "sign on" at a presentation although have seen "signing on" just before a stage.

I just checked the Vuelta rules and registration was between 10am - 2pm on Thursday 17th August, so prior to the team presentation.
I tried to find the rules for the Giro but wasn't successful but imagine they have a similar approach - so, wait until the teams register and then announce doping violations = team impact. Then again, it's Bardiani...

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I always thought the team presentation and team signing on were not the same thing - maybe they are.

Sorry, didn't really mean to suggest they were the same thing - my understanding is that the presentation is just the formal public announcement of the team line-up, with the assumption that all the official paperwork is done behind the scenes beforehand. In any case, yes, there does seem to have been an element of hangng Bardiani out to dry, while in BMC's case, the authorities have acted swiftly to minimise the impact on the team.

You can understand why they would do that to Bardiani, but it's interesting that BMC as a team does not seem to have been tainted by this in the public perception. But the more I think about it, the more I think it's really pretty scandalous. I can't imagine Sky would have got away with it so lightly if it had been one of their riders. And let's not forget that BMC have the Andy Rihs connection...

Never really considered Sanchez as an especially dirty rider, although he has been around long enough to be tainted by association with the Armstrong era, and Euskaltel-Euskadi were prone to the odd doping scandal (Mayo, Astarloza, Gonzalez...). I've just never liked him because of his egotism and his tiresome milking of the Olympics win. He does seem very popular in the peloton though.

This is such a terrible and tragic story on so many levels.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rumsas-under-investigation-into-sons-death/

When I read the report of his death, the first thing that occurred to me was drugs. I cannot imagine a world in which I would deliberately risk my children's lives.

Doseone

Guru
Top Bottom