England : Devon Dorset Coast 200 Audax - tragic news

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
From the Organiser: Dorset Coast 200 (2 April) - tragic news

"I hope you enjoyed your day out last Sunday.
"Below is a link to photos of the Dorset Coast and Coastlet riders leaving Wareham Scout Hut, and riding out of Lulworth Cove.
http://s682.photobucket.com/user/NewForestGridiron/library/Coast and Coastlet 2016
"A lot of you will not be aware, but shortly after 6pm, on the A road approaching Wareham [203km, with 2km to go], Richard Ellis, one of the Dorset Coast riders, was involved in a collision with a car. He sustained life threatening injuries, and his next of kin informed me today [Wed 6 apr] that he died of these injuries in Southampton Hospital.
"I know a group of riders came across the incident shortly after it occurred, and that they assisted, but I am not aware of any rider witnessing the collision, or the nature of the rider's or driver's actions before the incident.
"The next of kin asked me to see if anyone had any more information, and I would be grateful if you could let me know, however insignificant it may seem. Also, I've cut & pasted this link:
Witnesses and anyone with information should call Dorset Police in confidence on 101 quoting incident number 3:316.
"I did not know Richard, but he was an experienced and keen Audax rider, notching up 100 points in recent seasons. I have also been informed that in Audax UK's 40 year history, this is the first fatal collision that has occurred, which puts this tragic incident into some kind of perspective.
"Sorry to have to send this message to all of you."
Peter Loakes
Organiser of the 39th Dorset Coast 200km Audax

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Terrible news.My thoughts are with his family and friends.
I didn't know Richard personally but know he was a popular ,respected and accomplished cyclist.

Sadly not the only Audax fatality. Pat Appleton lost her life to a vehicle towing a trailer on the 2011 Jack and Grace 100 .

goody

Veteran
Sad, terrible, depressing. Not much you can say to make those he's left behind feel any better. Maybe there's some consolation in knowing he was a well liked and respected rider. Maybe not just a terrible felling of loss.

https://beyondthekerb.org.uk/incident/2547/ contains more info. Driver pled guilty to causing death by careless driving and driving while unfit through drugs, getting 20 weeks in prison and a 20 month driving ban. :sad:

how can that be called Justice? whether you are a cyclist or not, that just isn't acceptable. it makes me sad that life is so cheap

my thoughts are with the victims family and friends

Top Bottom