Dorset & Somerset Air Ambulance C2C 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I fully expect the roads this year to be worse than ever. :rolleyes:

Think I've found out why the route around West Monkton has been moved - there's now a car boot sale every Sunday at Procter's Farm and the two junctions over the main roads are chaos.

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
Dont know about the Quantock roads, but from Procters overpriced farm to Dowlish isnt to bad, just the odd deep pothole. Windy hill will be bad (i will try to recce it before the day).

I dont like their new route, but i guess if there is that much traffic then 600 bikes might give concern.

I hope they let us through up spooky graveyard as it leads to the cake stop at the ambulance station. :hungry:

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
Mind you, the new route avoids everyone seeing Procters and thinking i will go in.

If i am getting a bit peckish i will pop into the P.O at Curry Mallet for a coffee and cake :whistle:

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
I like the Silver Pantry at Procters. Just sayin :thumbsup:

:ohmy:

When i went in it was poor service, dry almost stale danish and £5.10 for a coffee and cake. I might have been unlucky and caught them on a bad day, but they wont get any more business from me.

I would rather eat the gel i keep as an emergency :laugh:

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
Anyway, back on topic .... hope the banananananas aren't green this year.

Mine were ok last year. Where did you get the green ones?

Year before that, the New Inn at Dowlish did a great trade, bikes everywhere :laugh: with loads sitting outside drinking :cheers:.

If anyone has not done this route before, you must stop at Ilminster and fuel up for Windy hill or it will bite you.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Can't remember which stop. I stuck to cake. :mrpig: For my waistline's sake, I think I'm going to limit my stops to Bishops Lydeard (best cake in Somerset) and Ilminster.

Davidc

Guru
Can't remember which stop. I stuck to cake. :mrpig: For my waistline's sake, I think I'm going to limit my stops to Bishops Lydeard (best cake in Somerset) and Ilminster.
I only stopped at those two last year. (Did top up the water bottles at the last one though)

I couldn't get up Windwhistle when I was in my 20s (with a full camping touring kit total 30kg!) and certainly can't now even after refuelling at Ilminster AND having several slices of malt loaf. Even walking up that one is touch and go.

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
Just an update.

The road into Ilminster (Cemetery Hill aka spooky graveyard hill) is shut due to subsidence. However, cyclists can get past the closed bit by going (walking) along the footpath. The closed section is only about 50 yards long.

Not sure what DSA are going to do, whether they will have a marshal or not. I have e mailed them to ask.

I have a reply.

Many thanks for your email regarding the C2C route on the road into Ilminster.
I am happy to confirm that I have been in contact with the Highways Dept and they have agreed that we can use still use this route as long as cyclists dismount and walk this section of the road. I am currently in communication with one of our volunteers who will be at this point on the day to ensure this is adhered to.

This is good news.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I have a reply.

Many thanks for your email regarding the C2C route on the road into Ilminster.
I am happy to confirm that I have been in contact with the Highways Dept and they have agreed that we can use still use this route as long as cyclists dismount and walk this section of the road. I am currently in communication with one of our volunteers who will be at this point on the day to ensure this is adhered to.

This is good news.
Nice one :thumbsup:

Gonna head out to Watchet later and do some of the route (the hill up to the crossroads and then along the edge of Exmoor through Monksilver to Elworthy crossroads). Should burn off some of yesterday's chocolate...

Davidc

Guru
Nice one :thumbsup:

Gonna head out to Watchet later and do some of the route (the hill up to the crossroads and then along the edge of Exmoor through Monksilver to Elworthy crossroads). Should burn off some of yesterday's chocolate...
I was going to but have an unpleasant cold so probably not now.

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
Fingers crossed for the weather on Sunday.

A few notes...

Cemetery hill (scooby doo graveyard) Ilminster will be a short walk, there should be a marshal there.

A detour is in place in Bridport.

The road from Kinsgtone into Dowlish is pot holed and has water on the corner and is pretty slippery.

And if its hot, I will be in my Duff Beer top :biggrin:

152l2

Thanks for the update.
Fingers crossed the weather is ok and I will be saying hi to anyone in a duff beer top. ^_^
(red top + blue and white secteur here).
Good luck all.
Stuart.

Top Bottom