Double click to change up gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jsaipe

Über Member
I'm on a Shimano 105 groupset and find that I have to double click to shift up a gear on the rear mech. Once I've double clicked to change up a gear, all subsequent gear changes (upwards) only need a single click. Changing down doesn't seem to be so problematic.

I've tried to adjust the gears by increasing the tension with the rear adjuster, but the problem still persists.

FYI the cable is around 6 months old.

Any ideas what might be causing it?

Last edited:

zacklaws

Guru
Both my Ultegra and 105 do the same, think its part of the trimming mechanism. When you change down and you hear it rattling, just click it once to go up a gear, it tightens the cableand moves the rear mech slightly and it stops rattling. I might be wrong though but it works so I do not worry about it.

Citius

Both my Ultegra and 105 do the same, think its part of the trimming mechanism. When you change down and you hear it rattling, just click it once to go up a gear, it tightens the cableand moves the rear mech slightly and it stops rattling. I might be wrong though but it works so I do not worry about it.

There is no manual trimming on any rear mech, so it won't be that. It just means your cable is poorly adjusted.

Wind the barrell adjuster full in and then out a couple of turns. Undo the allen bolt that holds the cable on the rear mech, pull the cable tight with your fingers and then re-tighten the retainer bolt. You should now have a better range of adjustment on the rear cable such that the mech moves the chain one sprocket for each click of the lever.

OP
OP
jsaipe

jsaipe

Über Member
Wind the barrell adjuster full in and then out a couple of turns. Undo the allen bolt that holds the cable on the rear mech, pull the cable tight with your fingers and then re-tighten the retainer bolt. You should now have a better range of adjustment on the rear cable such that the mech moves the chain one sprocket for each click of the lever.

Thanks will give it a go first thing tomorrow morning.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'm on a Shimano 105 groupset and find that I have to double click to shift up a gear on the rear mech. Once I've double clicked to change up a gear, all subsequent gear changes (upwards) only need a single click. Changing down doesn't seem to be so problematic.

I've tried to adjust the gears by increasing the tension with the rear adjuster, but the problem still persists.

FYI the cable is around 6 months old.

Any ideas what might be causing it?
You've only got the same number of clicks as you have sprockets, so I don't see how you are still getting all the gears. Put the chain on the small sprocket and release the cable then see if you have one more click on the high gear shifter. My guess is you have set it up without going all the way down with the mech, ie you were one click short when the chain was on the smallest cog.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Had the same issue on 2 bikes. I was sure it was not a cable tension issue and upon inspection found both deraileurs to exhibit an amount of plan when waggling them. Replaced one on my 'B' bike last week and guess what - issue resolved. Bent hanger may also be the cause or cable tension prob. Just be aware that it could be caused by a number of reasons.

zaza123

I recently changed a rear shifter cable attached to Tiagra 10 speed. It had broken in the brifter and was a right pain to get the barrel shaped bit out. When I replaced it I cleaned and lubricated the outers and ferrules at the shifter end and the derailleur end to try to ease the passage of the cable through the system and it has made the world of difference. I thought that the behaviour you described was normal. After a shift down (dragging cable through the system) I always had to do an "empty" upshift click (letting cable back into the system) before I could then change up. All subsequent up changes were fine until after the next downshift. Now all my shifts count. It's like a new bike.

zacklaws

Guru
Just rechecked mine and I do have 11 clicks on mine, I change down to smallest sprocket, and then when I change up, click it once, nothing happens, then ten individual clicks takes me through all ten sprockets. Even retightened the cable and it makes no difference

And it cannot be an 11 speed shifter on a ten speed mech as these shifters well precede 11 speed by years, and it has all been set up by the bike shop on a rebuild barely 3 months ago

OP
OP
jsaipe

jsaipe

Über Member
Popped into my LBS and they are very sure it's the fact that the gear cable isn't moving freely in the outer casing and not the cable tension. Will post back results when I've sorted it.

OP
OP
jsaipe

jsaipe

Über Member
Ok final verdict, inner cable wasn't moving freely enough. New gear cables fitted, and voila, perfect shifting. Wasn't cable tension after all.

Thanks for all your comments.

Top Bottom