Double impact puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I had one yesterday. I hit a water filled pot hole. I knew it was there but couldn't go round it in time as the scumbag motorist behind was sat on my shoulder, so i had to go over it. I heard the loud hiss followed by another a split second later. This pot hole has been there for at least a year that i know of. The question is can i claim for my puncture repair and tyre damage from Blackburn council? I had the tubes replaced the same day, but i've noticed the back tyre/tube has gone soft this morning. It's a Schwalbe Durano Plus,so quite tough but what chance have they against a 5 inch deep hole?! I'm annoyed at the git who wouldn't let me go round it and annoyed at Blackburn council for ignoring this dangerous hole for so long!

Ajax Bay

Guru
1) Sympathise
2) You knew it was there. Had you reported it? http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/
3) You can try claiming - for two new inners?
4) If it's gone soft again you did not repair it properly, or the inner you put in in the back tyre had a p***ture or inadequately repaired p***ture still in it.
5) The Durano Plus will be fine. Higher tyre pressures may have saved you (but probably not).
6) Primary position next time you approach the hole you know is there.

Last edited:
If there was any white ( or coloured ) markers around the hole, that will be enough for the council to refuse any pay out, because the painted markers mean that they knew about it, and had marked it for 'imminent' repair. If it was me, I'd have braked then gone round it, when the motorist had passed (if I couldn't have got to primary in time).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
2) You knew it was there. Had you reported it? http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/
Or www.fixMyStreet.com or some councils still allow you to see other people's reports on their websites (but I suspect some hide any dangerous ones or at least make them difficult to find).
the scumbag motorist behind was sat on my shoulder
You should deal with any such scumbag as soon as you notice them because if you fall, they'll injure you. My favourite two are: turning to look at them and signalling them to back off; and slowing to a speed where the gap they've left is a safe braking distance - but I'd welcome other suggestions because they both suck in different ways.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I knew the pot hole was thereabouts but there are so many i lost track of which are the deep ones and the not so deep safer ones. It was peeing down so white markings (though i'm 100% certain there aren't any) around it couldn't be seen. It's ok saying take a primary position but this is a dual carriageway and the bastids wouldn't take kindly to having to wait a few seconds while you hold them up to pass a pot hole that they don't notice in their full suspension loud music boxes. I've tried primary before but they seriously try and force you to one side.:thumbsdown:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
What are you going to do different next time then?

Well if there was a cycle path/pavement on the side where the pot holes are i'd use it, but there's only one on the opposite side and it's difficult to get across the road when it's busy and that's most of the time. So i suppose i'll avoid the road whenever possible but it won't be easy at it's used on most of my planned rides out. If i do use it i'll just slow down when approaching the pot holes and if there's a car up my backside i'll stop,if not i'll go round them. As i said previously taking primary to slow the buggers down is taking a big risk. I think some actually think they are allowed to threaten your safety if you commit the sinful act of sticking a few seconds on their precious journey!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If there was any white ( or coloured ) markers around the hole, that will be enough for the council to refuse any pay out, because the painted markers mean that they knew about it, and had marked it for 'imminent' repair. If it was me, I'd have braked then gone round it, when the motorist had passed (if I couldn't have got to primary in time).

There is a pothole on my way to work thats had a white circle painted round it for at least a month - in fact it's been like that for so long that the pothole is growing and taking the white paint with it...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There is a pothole on my way to work thats had a white circle painted round it for at least a month - in fact it's been like that for so long that the pothole is growing and taking the white paint with it...
Maybe the repair crew couldn't find their pothole with both hands? I'm reminded of https://www.fixmystreet.com/report/329225 among other long-lived examples.

Top Bottom