double wrap bar tape...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyh

Veteran
thinking of double wrapping the bar tape on my drops to make it thicker and more comfy for a long ride in a weeks time.

is it possible to do this and who makes a good comfy tape?

Bigtwin

Common on CX bikes, and for those with big mitts.

Any old tape will do (probably except real cork!) - or you can pay through the nose for gel tape and pads, and not notice the difference.

gbb

Legendary Member
Maybe get some gel tape...it fattens up the bars no end.
If i'm stating the obvious, forgive me....i used some Trek gel tape. You just lay the gel along the bars at the pressure points...not around the bars. Then wrap the tape as normal.

kyuss

Veteran
I've double taped bars in the past. Until a month ago I had Spesh Bar Phat gel pads and 2 rolls of tape on my commuting machine. Since swapping to just one roll and the gel pads (like I have on the good bike) I've been finding it more comfortable. Extra thickness doesn't always mean extra comfort. Maybe try out some Bar Phat if you can get hold of it. I've been using it for years and it's good stuff.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Cut the valve section out of an old inner tube, run the scissors down the length to make it single thickness and use that as the base layer before wrapping with bar tape. Cheap , effective and a good use of old tubes ;)

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
well I have put a 2nd wrap of Zip bar tape around and it is a nice improvement, thicker and more comfortable compared to how it was with the sinlge layer of skinny tape.
Now it feels more like the bars on my Trek.

For a first attempt it aint bad, although could be tidier in places :sad:

Top Bottom