Doubling Up On Road

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the snail

Guru
S'funny you know, motorists have little problem being patient and giving a very wide berth to horses ....

apart from the BT van on a club run recently. We slowed down to pass a horse rider on a bend. I put my hand up to warn WVM behind me, then BEEEEEEEEEP on the horn, the rider was nearly thrown from her horse.

the snail

Guru
Oh FFS, which part of ''when it's safe to do so'' is so ****ing hard to understand?

Is the Highway Code no longer a requirement in the process of obtaining a driving licence? Or are you just unable to read? :angry:

I think it's you who needs to read the HC:

never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

VamP

Banned
I think it's you who needs to read the HC:

Don't be ridiculous. Overtaking around blind corners is what we are talking about. Regardless of what the traffic ahead of you is doing, standing on it's head for all I care, the onus of a safe overtake is on the vehicle doing the overtaking. The overriding principle being that you only overtake IF it's safe to do so. End of.

Edit: as for riding doubled up, I agree it can be dangerous in certain situations, and impolite in others. That was not my comment. My comment, as highlighted by the included quote, pertained to the OP's apparent desire to overtake whatever it takes.

Mad at urage

No, it means leave the same space between the car and vehicle it is passing
No, it doesn't. As already posted, it says "at least as much room as you would a car" and not "allow the same space between you as you would a car".
The snail has already posted the pretty picture if you have trouble comprehending the written word.
dg_070531.jpg
And the rest of it, here : http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070314
Also
which includes
"213Motorcyclists and cyclists may suddenly need to avoid uneven road surfaces and obstacles such as drain covers or oily, wet or icy patches on the road. Give them plenty of room and pay particular attention to any sudden change of direction they may have to make."

snorri

Legendary Member
The fact that this topic is even being discussed on here proves that the Highway Code is failing to get the message over in a manner that all road users can understand.:sad: :sad:
I hope we will all be appealing for a rewording the next time the HC comes up for revision.

(Just as many of us did the last time :whistle: )

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I don't actually have a preference.
if it's an organised group ride then the ride leader should consider what's safest for the other cyclists, and not bother overmuch about holding up traffic. Single out if necessary when it's safe for motor vehicles to overtake, but double up when it's not. It pays to have someone at the back with a bit of oomph - capable of holding back the traffic.

The general rule is two abreast. Group rides are generally conversational.

freecyclist

if it's an organised group ride then the ride leader should consider what's safest for the other cyclists, and not bother overmuch about holding up traffic. Single out if necessary when it's safe for motor vehicles to overtake, but double up when it's not. It pays to have someone at the back with a bit of oomph - capable of holding back the traffic.

The general rule is two abreast. Group rides are generally conversational.

Here is a perfect example of the kind of selfish attitude that causes cyclists to get a bad rep.

400bhp

Guru
No, it really doesn't. Try looking at the picture that is provided to make this crystal clear to anyone. (I won't show it again as it's already in two posts in this topic.)

The picture is clear in my mind.

Replace the bicycle with a car and the passing car would be far too close to the passed car.

Therefore, the "room", "space" (whatever the HC says, cant be bothered to look it up) must mean space, gap.

400bhp

Guru
The point is that it doesn't say "clearance", it says "room".

a definition of "room"

1. space or extent, esp unoccupied or unobstructed space for a particular purpose is there room to pass?2. (Fine Arts & Visual Arts / Architecture) an area within a building enclosed by a floor, a ceiling, and walls or partitions3. (functioning as singular or plural) the people present in a room the whole room was laughing4. (foll by for) opportunity or scope room for manoeuvre5. (plural) a part of a house, hotel, etc. that is rented out as separate accommodation; lodgings she got rooms quite easily in Dulwich Road6. a euphemistic word for lavatory [1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom