Downhill - Fixed v Free...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Enjoyed that.

Yes, a great video . . . . . . . if it were me, my brake blocks wouldn't last long; nor the soles of my shoes ! ^_^

. . . . . . . I'm an old bloke living on the edge of Wales . . . . . . .

What a load of tosh ! :rolleyes:

. . . Al-Fresco is barely on the cusp of 'middle-aged'. :thumbsup:

just jim

This is an unusual post. One of the joys of riding fixed is the gearing compromise. 69" (as used by the OP) is a fab set-up for rolling hills. I'm really not sure how upping the gearing would allow him to get more out of his training runs. He clearly gets a lot out of them. Raising the final-drive ratio on a Ferrari might give some improvement in fuel economy, but that's not really what it's all about. I imagine the OP has given the matter of gear inches some thought and has settled on 69".

This is a typically verbose reply to a simple point - train harder. What the heck has a Ferrari got to do with it?

For "gently rolling" hills I would hazard a guess that 69" is a tad on the low/twiddly side for a fit cyclist who like to keep a good pace.

Bicycle

This is a typically verbose reply to a simple point - train harder. What the heck has a Ferrari got to do with it?

I am a wordy bastard. Almost all my posts are verbose. I was questioning your view that changing the gear inches would allow the OP to train harder. A lot of people who ride fixed-gear do not equate gear inches and the ability to train harder. There are other bicycles if it's big gear-inches you want.

What has Ferrari got to do with it? You sound just like Lance, Tyler, Cadel, Floyd and Vino....

Pfff.... What has Ferrari got to do with it indeed....:whistle:

just jim

I am a wordy bastard. Almost all my posts are verbose. I was questioning your view that changing the gear inches would allow the OP to train harder. A lot of people who ride fixed-gear do not equate gear inches and the ability to train harder. There are other bicycles if it's big gear-inches you want.

What has Ferrari got to do with it? You sound just like Lance, Tyler, Cadel, Floyd and Vino....

Pfff.... What has Ferrari got to do with it indeed....:whistle:
I am not equating gear inches with training harder. Riding fixed (as you appear to know well)
gives one the chance within a limited budget to experiment with gearing. The chances are as one rides longer and faster, one may wish to up the ante a bit. And I emphasise "a bit" as I originally said. I do not appreciate nor understand the facetious Lance/ Tyler comment. As for the Ferrari you are welcome to it.

Top Bottom