Downhill - Fixed v Free...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Farky

Farky

Over 6,000 miles on the bike and at last I get some good advice...thanks Dad...

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I agree with lee. I would be out a lot more at that speed, especially on a country road where there is often a lot of debris on the side of the road.

I could never get on with fixed down hill, just never felt comfortable getting aero and pedalling and the aero position makes a big difference at higher speeds.

OP
OP
Farky

Farky

Thanks for the advice but to be fair, it was the A25 which can be a busy road and when you're sat out, some motorist lose patience and pass when they perhaps shouldn't and let's be honest, any fall at 30+ MPH is going to hurt no matter what bike. Riding fixed certainly helps you appreciate control and surroundings that's for sure and as for aero, why would you even try that on a fixed?! Of course aero is quicker but for me, the benefits of fixed outweigh the negatives...happy cycling!

Norm

I was laughing my donkey off during that video, Farky. The camera was bobbing, your legs were pumping away, heavy breathing and all the time, the chap in front disappearing into the distance without pedalling. :laugh:

Gaz has it right, saying that he would be out a lot more. We should all ride where we like and where we feel comfortable, not where others tell us to ride, be they drivers telling us to move in to the left or cyclists telling us to move out to the right. IMO. :thumbsup:

Bicycle

[QUOTE 1672249, member: 3143"]Cool, but at that speed you should really be out more. If you have a close pass then any flinching will result in you or your mate ending up in the hedge[/quote]

I'm just back from a fixed-gear spin with my boys (who have gears). I saw this and laughed. A lovely bit of film and it captures the 'spinning out of control' feeling you get from whipping a fixie down a hill. I bet it was even more fun actually filming it.

I ride a 69" fixie in and around the Malvern Hills, so I'm often in that 'invisible legs' spin.

From the shots showing the front wheel, I'd say your road position is spot on. That's where I tell my kids to be on fast descents on single-carriageway NSL roads... And it's where I ride while I'm trying to keep up with them on my fixopholous.

I know the A25 as a motorcylcist, but have vever pedalled on it. A lovely, sweeping piece of tarmac. Nice piece of film Farky. :smile:

OP
OP
Farky

Farky

we should start a survey on who thinks User3143 is a scout leader (or even brown owl)!!

OP
OP
Farky

Farky

but posting such advice on a forum where I invite you to laugh at me is another matter! I appreciate the 'advice' but the reason I decided to 'take the piss' is because of the fact you viewed the video and decided to give it. Have you been out yet this year Lee or are you still planning your year and carrying out a shed load of risk assessments? It's late, go to bed and be fresh in the morning!

OP
OP
Farky

Farky

[QUOTE 1672856, member: 3143"]WTF? It's advice. Going down a hill at speed only inches from a hedge with a double bold line is potentially inviting trouble. You want to take the piss, then ok, but don'[t post a vid up there about a close pass and you going through a hedge head first - because I'll laugh...loads.

Edit: Looking at your other vids you need all the help you can get.

Little bit of advice:

If you can keep up with the flow of traffic, then you can move over and not remain in the door zone.[/quote]

Get yourself out, maybe buy some milk!

Nantmor

From speed and gear size its easy to work out cadence. I've heard tell of 200 rpm. I once approached 30 mph on a 64" gear which if I remember correctly is 175rpm. Any more figures would be interesting to know. So, what's your max.?

OP
OP
Farky

Farky

From speed and gear size its easy to work out cadence. I've heard tell of 200 rpm. I once approached 30 mph on a 64" gear which if I remember correctly is 175rpm. Any more figures would be interesting to know. So, what's your max.?

Like bicycle, I'm also running 69" and according to Garmin, I had a max of 35.4 MPH and 173 RPM on that ride. I shall check others and keep you posted...

Top Bottom