Downhill - Fixed v Free...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zizou

Veteran
I liked the videos, not sure i could mange 173 RPM for any length of time!

As for positioning, it is easy to say where is 'ideal' watching a video but that doesn't take account of local conditions (like the road surface, prevailing wind, experience of what drivers are like on a particular bit of road and things like that) things which you get to known if you are a regular on certain stretches of road. The descents i do most regularly i dont take what would be the textbook line down any of them - i know the bits that have cut up tarmac, the bits with loose stones, one bit has a pothole hidden because it has been painted over by the SLOW sign, i know which bit can be dodgy with run off from the field, i know the corners that oncoming cars often cut when they are speeding and so on. It is a bit harsh to be toojudgemental on road positioning unless you know the roads in question IMO

just jim

Any closer to that hedge and your going to get scratched to bits. Sorry I can't get all misty eyed about your vid, but you could be a bit more assertive and claim more road space. And you could increase your gear inches a bit and get more out of your training runs rather than spinning out. Fixed is the best way and you know it. You post something up on a chat forum and you are bound to invite opinions not always sympathetic.

OP
OP
Farky

Farky

Any closer to that hedge and your going to get scratched to bits. Sorry I can't get all misty eyed about your vid, but you could be a bit more assertive and claim more road space.

Like I did in the second video where I needed to?

And you could increase your gear inches a bit and get more out of your training runs rather than spinning out.

Why not, and then I can just ride down hill all the time!! With all due respect, I've managed some big hills with 69 gear inches and I'd rather climb them than decend down them quickly!

You post something up on a chat forum and you are bound to invite opinions not always sympathetic.

And sometimes not worth voicing!!

Good vid, if you are on fixed you can't be doing much wrong :smile:, as for road positioning, assuming you are an experienced rider, only you can know the best line to take. As zizou says, too many factors we can't see or be aware of, on fixed [which is most of the time] I am much more aware of road surfaces as at high speeds a fixed is that bit harder to control. Gearing is a personal choice and again will depend on many different factors.
Just completed 26,000 miles on my fixed and my highest speed to date is 44.15mph [according to http://www.machars.net/1-bikecalc.htm] this works out at 201.6rpm, needless to say will not be doing that again.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Lovely vid! Definitely made me laugh.

I find those long, gentle descents the worst - sustaining a high-ish cadence for a few minutes is harder than hitting a very high cadence for a short burst.

There's a short, steep hill I go down quite often where I've hit ~190rpm (~60km/h) a few times, but I'm only ever at that speed for a few seconds at most. There's another long descent I go down occasionally that's more like the one in the video - not nearly as fast but when you're on fixed, it feels like it goes on forever. I've been hit with cramp a couple of times on that descent.

d.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
And you could increase your gear inches a bit and get more out of your training runs rather than spinning out.

Surely the ideal gear depends on the overall route, not just a short section of it? My general-purpose gear is about 65". Sure, it's a bit spinny on the descents but it's also much easier on the climbs. And at 90rpm, I'm doing about 28km/h, which is a comfortable cruising speed on the flat.

Granted, I'm not the strongest or fastest rider though, so what suits me may well be on the low side for you.

d.

Bicycle

This is an unusual post. One of the joys of riding fixed is the gearing compromise. 69" (as used by the OP) is a fab set-up for rolling hills. I'm really not sure how upping the gearing would allow him to get more out of his training runs. He clearly gets a lot out of them. Raising the final-drive ratio on a Ferrari might give some improvement in fuel economy, but that's not really what it's all about. I imagine the OP has given the matter of gear inches some thought and has settled on 69".

I could never get on with fixed down hill, just never felt comfortable getting aero and pedalling and the aero position makes a big difference at higher speeds.

This is interesting. I use my fixopholous just for training and for blatting around on, so 'getting aero' isn't something I think about.

With my relative paucity of skill, fitness and courage, there is a degree of compromise needed when descending at speed on fixed. At anything over 30 mph, aero would be the last thing on my mind. I fold myself up just a little, get the front wheel tracking like a laser and then expend most of my energy praying that my legs don't seize.

The benefits of 'getting aero' are manifest, but may not be pertinent when the object at hand is fast descent on a fixie. Even with quite tall gearing on a fixie, it is unlikely that an aero tuck will add much speed. By the time you're doing about 34 mph, speed tends to be limited by the looseness/flexibility of your lower limbs. Although people do ride massive gear inches on fixed, they tend (for obvious reasons) not to be climbing the bastard ascents that give the brain-out adrenalin rush on descents.

For fixed descents, I'd ignore difference made by aero tucks and just enjoy the terror. :sad:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I used to ride 43x17 (nominal 68) but have gone down to 43x18. Highest ever cadence was about 220rpm, but I'm not sure I could do that now. It certainly teaches you to pedal smoothly. Keeping a high cadence going for more than a few minutes is challenging.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Agreed, getting in a tuck on a descent is pointless on fixed. And really uncomfortable. Fast descents make me very glad I have cross-top brake levers on my fixie.

I do sometimes find I benefit from a tuck position on the flat though, especially with a headwind.

d.

2old2care

Über Member
Nice vid, what bike have you got? as I'm considering getting a fixed gear bike, but can't decide which one, maybe even a Ti frame.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Enjoyed the video! :laugh: As regards gearing I'm an old bloke living on the edge of Wales and I find the standard Langster 69 inches just about spot on. My fitness/hill climbing has shown a big improvement.

OP
OP
Farky

Farky

Nice vid, what bike have you got? as I'm considering getting a fixed gear bike, but can't decide which one, maybe even a Ti frame.

I'm on a 2009 Langster with some Halo rims and a few other minor changes (Ultegra front brake and so on). So far, it's been a good bike and is proving very difficult to replace.

Top Bottom